Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > First customers now on 21CN network

First customers now on 21CN network

Sunil Sood

or what BT were calling '21CN day'

"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
national roll-out of 21CN.

21CN will bring a range of benefits to businesses and consumers over years
to come. New voice, data, broadband and multimedia services will be
delivered quicker and cheaper than before, including faster broadband. 21CN
will also give customers more control over the way they use their services.

The migration of the first customers to 21CN is a landmark event in BT's
next generation network programme. To reach this important milestone BT has
re-built around ten per cent of the UK's core national communications
infrastructure, installed 21CN equipment at over 100 sites across the UK,
and laid more than 2,300 kilometres of new fibre optic cable in South Wales.
BT has also invested more than 1,500 man years in developing new IT systems
to support the new network.

Reaching this major milestone has also been the result of pan-industry
collaboration through Consult21, a forum which provides a regular open
platform for all communications providers to understand and influence BT's
plans for 21CN. This includes the details of the roll-out programme, as it
affects hundreds of communications providers across the UK.

Paul Reynolds, chief executive of BT Wholesale and BT board sponsor for the
21CN programme said, "Today marks a symbolic and momentous occasion for BT,
the communications industry and for the UK as 21CN, over three years in the
making, starts to become real for customers. Alexander Graham Bell made the
first telephone call 130 years ago - we are also making history with the
first live UK customer calls using a carrier class, all IP network. Years of
research and development, network build and design, rigorous trials and
testing, together with open collaboration with the communications industry
have culminated in this historic moment. A network transformation on this
scale has not been attempted anywhere else in the world - it's happening now
in South Wales, and the rest of the UK will follow over the next few years."

Following the first phase of customer migrations in Wick, customers in
Cardiff, Bridgend and the Pontypridd area will be the next to have their
voice and broadband services transferred to 21CN. By the end of summer 2007,
around 350,000 customer lines in South Wales are expected to have been
migrated to the new infrastructure.

When complete, 21CN will deliver existing and new converged communications
services to homes and businesses nationwide. BT believes that the underlying
network and the new services it will create, including the first nationwide
wholesale broadband service offering planned speeds of up to 24 Mbit/s, will
make converged communications faster, more efficient and more cost effective
than ever before."

From
http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...b49fd423335%7d

Regards
Sunil

Copy Right

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, Sunil Sood wrote:

[snip massive copy]

>From
>http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...b49fd423335%7d

Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

NoNeedToKnow

On 29 Nov 2006, Copy Right < @ > wrote:

>Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
>and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

Where copyright of a "magazine" item is involved a precis of the item
and a web link might be enough. However, for those who have no easy
access to a browser, but read the newsgroup, or for those who later
happen to read the newsgroup, and the web link fails (eg because of
a reorganisation of all pages on the website, perhaps 5 years down
the line) then having the article posted is a reasonable thing. If
you don't want to download it, then your newsreader might be able to
simply not download any post of 50+ lines, for example. This post,
at well under 100 lines, is far from excessive, IMO, and whilst in
some cases one would like the web link to be able to confirm that
something posted is as is seen on the website, I for one, knowing
that what Sunil posts is nearly always 100% correct, would prefer
to be able to read the whole thing here (I didn't, but I've set my
newsreader to keep anything posted by Sunil anyway, so it will be
held on my HD for years, with posts from Phil Henry and others)
rather than have to go off to some website (some of which 'force'
their own 'musical' output on visitors) to get the full story.

Richard Oliver

Copy Right wrote:

> [snip massive copy]
>
>>From
>> http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...b49fd423335%7d

> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
> and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

You are new here? Sunil provides very useful postings and I for one
like plenty of detail. I often read postings offline and can't
automatically link.

Monty

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:07:21 +0000, NoNeedToKnow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've set my
>newsreader to keep anything posted by Sunil anyway, so it will be
>held on my HD for years, with posts from Phil Henry and others)

I think Sunil Sood and Phil Henry are one and the same robot.

Spin Dryer

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-

>or what BT were calling '21CN day'
>
>"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
>customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
>next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
>village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
>upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
>telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
>national roll-out of 21CN.

Anyone from Wick 'here' ?

Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
large place, so just wondering.

David Floyd

In message of Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Richard Oliver writes
>Copy Right wrote:
>
>> [snip massive copy]
>>
>>>From
>>>http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...leid=%7b900187
>>>09-f48e-409a-a1e4-9b49fd423335%7d

>> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the
>>link
>> and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

>You are new here? Sunil provides very useful postings and I for one
>like plenty of detail. I often read postings offline and can't
>automatically link.

As a casual reader, with casual interest, I found Sunil's post
interesting. If he had posted as you suggest I probably wouldn't have
bothered to go to the link.

So, keep it up, Sunil, please.

David

jasper

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:55:09 +0000, Spin Dryer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-
>
>>or what BT were calling '21CN day'
>>
>>"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
>>customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
>>next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
>>village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
>>upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
>>telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
>>national roll-out of 21CN.

>Anyone from Wick 'here' ?
>
>Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
>large place, so just wondering.

I'm from Wick but the last time I looked out of my window I was in
Caithness and not in deepest Wales.........................

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:20:09 +0000, jasper
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:55:09 +0000, Spin Dryer <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:27:21 -0000, [Sunil Sood] said :-
>>
>>>or what BT were calling '21CN day'
>>>
>>>"BT made communications history today with the transfer of the first
>>>customer lines to its 21st Century Network (21CN), the world's most advanced
>>>next generation network. As planned, BT has started to move customers in the
>>>village of Wick, near Cardiff, to the next generation infrastructure. The
>>>upgrade, which took place without the need for an engineer visit, new
>>>telephone, or a new telephone number, is part of the first phase of the
>>>national roll-out of 21CN.

>>Anyone from Wick 'here' ?
>>
>>Anyone know the size of the transfer? Wick appears not to be a very
>>large place, so just wondering.
>>

>I'm from Wick but the last time I looked out of my window I was in
>Caithness and not in deepest Wales.........................

You maybe but there are more in the UK than yours in fact all the ones
below ..........................
Wick, Caithness
KW1 (UK)
West Wick
Weston-Super-Mare, Avon
BS24 (UK)
Hampton Wick
Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey
KT1 4 (UK)
Wick
Bristol, Avon
BS30 (UK)
Eton Wick
Windsor, Berkshire
SL4 6 (UK)
Wick
Littlehampton, West Sussex
BN17 (UK)
Wick
Salisbury, Wiltshire
SP5 3 (UK)
Wick
Cowbridge, South Glamorgan

Stu

>>From
>> http://www.btplc.com/news/articles/s...b49fd423335%7d

> Instead of copying the lot off the website why not just post the link
> and a few words of what it's about - surely that's enough?

Instead of whining just don't read it but then of course you would have
no excuse for posting.

It reminds me of people who try to censor tv shows because they don't
like the content but watch it anyway so they have something to complain
about.

Life is a wonderful thing, so go and use it!