Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Gradwell -- reliable?

Gradwell -- reliable?

alexd

Geoff wrote:

> But would anyone want to be associated with anything that Richard (R)
> Ashton was connected with?
> It put me off straight away

Explanation?

15:17:02 up 9 days, 18:59, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Thomas Kenyon

news wrote:
> In message <456acb79$0$8735$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>

>> The DrayTek Vigor2800VG has an option "Play dial tone only when account
>> registered", which depending on whether it is selected or not, gives a
>> dial
>> tone in either state of the VoIP account (ie registered or
>> non-registered).
>>

> OK, but is there any point in presenting a dial tone to the user if the
> phone/ATA is not registered?

Yes, if you run the service without registrations. (only really need
registrations if the IP of the client is dynamic). Most ITSPs require
this, but not all. The Sipura range of ATAs support this.

Thomas Kenyon

Thomas Sandford wrote:
> Of course an advantage of Gradwell is that they can provide a divert to a
> PSTN number, so if you are without (primary) connectivity for a period of
> time you could arrange for incoming calls to be routed to a landline (or
> even mobile), albeit at your cost...

You can? I've asked about this in the past and have been told that it
couldn't be done.

Jono

Thomas Kenyon formulated on Saturday :
> Thomas Sandford wrote:
>> Of course an advantage of Gradwell is that they can provide a divert to a
>> PSTN number, so if you are without (primary) connectivity for a period of
>> time you could arrange for incoming calls to be routed to a landline (or
>> even mobile), albeit at your cost...
>>

> You can? I've asked about this in the past and have been told that it
> couldn't be done.

<http://www.gradwell.com/voip/PSTN_forwarding.php>.......who have you
asked?

Thomas Kenyon

Jono wrote:
> Thomas Kenyon formulated on Saturday :
>> Thomas Sandford wrote:
>>> Of course an advantage of Gradwell is that they can provide a divert
>>> to a PSTN number, so if you are without (primary) connectivity for a
>>> period of time you could arrange for incoming calls to be routed to a
>>> landline (or even mobile), albeit at your cost...
>>>

>> You can? I've asked about this in the past and have been told that it
>> couldn't be done.

> <http://www.gradwell.com/voip/PSTN_forwarding.php>.......who have you
> asked?

Sorry, I was thinking of it as a failover services. (Like adding a
second Dial statement to an asterisk dialplan). Didn't read tyhe OP
carefully enough.

Jono

Thomas Kenyon formulated the question :
> Jono wrote:
>> Thomas Kenyon formulated on Saturday :
>>>>

>>> You can? I've asked about this in the past and have been told that it
>>> couldn't be done.

>> <http://www.gradwell.com/voip/PSTN_forwarding.php>.......who have you
>> asked?
>>

> Sorry, I was thinking of it as a failover services. (Like adding a second
> Dial statement to an asterisk dialplan). Didn't read tyhe OP carefully
> enough.

I was surprised.

Even so though, can Gradwell not provide failover to PSTN? If that's
the case, I'm even more surprised.

Brian

On 2006-12-02, Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> news wrote:
>>
>> OK, but is there any point in presenting a dial tone to the user if the
>> phone/ATA is not registered?
>>

> Yes, if you run the service without registrations. (only really need
> registrations if the IP of the client is dynamic). Most ITSPs require
> this, but not all. The Sipura range of ATAs support this.

Is having a static or dynamic IP really an issue for registration? A
phone which moves from one static IP to another would still have to be
registered with an ITSP to be located.

Brian.

Tim Bray

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> Sorry, I was thinking of it as a failover services. (Like adding a
> second Dial statement to an asterisk dialplan). Didn't read tyhe OP
> carefully enough.

Can't you use a hunt group with a very long timeout?

I haven't tried this myself, but on most of the SIP systems I've played
with, a hunt group will fail over to the next choice if the first choice
doesn't ring.

Tim

Andrew Gabriel

In article <eksibu$a16$1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> On 2006-12-02, Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> news wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, but is there any point in presenting a dial tone to the user if the
>>> phone/ATA is not registered?
>>>

>> Yes, if you run the service without registrations. (only really need
>> registrations if the IP of the client is dynamic). Most ITSPs require
>> this, but not all. The Sipura range of ATAs support this.

> Is having a static or dynamic IP really an issue for registration? A
> phone which moves from one static IP to another would still have to be
> registered with an ITSP to be located.

Well, that would make it a dynamic IP then.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Brian

On 2006-12-02, Andrew Gabriel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <eksibu$a16$1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Brian <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> On 2006-12-02, Thomas Kenyon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Yes, if you run the service without registrations. (only really need
>>> registrations if the IP of the client is dynamic). Most ITSPs require
>>> this, but not all. The Sipura range of ATAs support this.

>> Is having a static or dynamic IP really an issue for registration? A
>> phone which moves from one static IP to another would still have to be
>> registered with an ITSP to be located.

> Well, that would make it a dynamic IP then.

My thinking was in terms of a different permanent or temporary address
being assigned on each network the phone is used. The relocations have
the same effect as having a dynamic IP but, static or dynamic,
registration of the IP has to take place for the phone to be found.

Brian.

SIP Hardware phone-->Netgear Switch--->Draytek vigor3100--->SDSL--->Gradwell Darren UK VOIP 0 08-01-2006 08:10 AM
Gradwell phones home from web page -- what's going on? news UK VOIP 9 12-22-2005 10:01 PM
Billion BIPAC 7100SV and Gradwell VoIP setup help please Terry Belton UK VOIP 6 09-07-2005 10:26 PM
Gradwell Thomas Rankin UK VOIP 1 07-07-2005 06:15 PM
Problems with Gradwell service Don Carter UK VOIP 4 06-11-2005 10:37 AM

Advertisments