Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > PSTN integration on Livebox / Home Hub

PSTN integration on Livebox / Home Hub

Phil Thompson

Anyone know if the BT Home Hub or Orange Livebox thingy provide any
integration of the PSTN with their VoIP service ?

As ADSL modem/routers they obviously have a PSTN connection as well as
onboard VoIP, but it seems vague as to whether

a) incoming PSTN calls ring the VoIP handset(s)
b) outgoing calls can be routed to PSTN with a prefix or similar
c) if there's any power failover mechanism to PSTN.

Thanks,

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Brian

On 2006-11-25, Phil Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know if the BT Home Hub or Orange Livebox thingy provide any
> integration of the PSTN with their VoIP service ?

The BT Home Hub has an FXS port only. The phone will respond to an
incoming call made to its allocated 056 or 01/02 number. I don't know
what the Livebox does.

> As ADSL modem/routers they obviously have a PSTN connection as well as
> onboard VoIP, but it seems vague as to whether
>
> a) incoming PSTN calls ring the VoIP handset(s)
> b) outgoing calls can be routed to PSTN with a prefix or similar
> c) if there's any power failover mechanism to PSTN.

You're out of luck with (b) and (c) with the Home Hub. If you want the
handset to ring using your BT landline number you won't get that either.
If you haven't seen it, there is a handbook at www.homehub.bt.com/html.

Brian.

Martin²

Zyxel 2602HWL can do all that you require,
as can FritzBox! and I think Draytek 2700V.
Regards,
Martin

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:50:23 -0000, "Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Zyxel 2602HWL can do all that you require,
>as can FritzBox! and I think Draytek 2700V.

thanks. Helping people use their "free" hardware better is the current
goal.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 01:29:45 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>You're out of luck with (b) and (c) with the Home Hub. If you want the
>handset to ring using your BT landline number you won't get that either.
>If you haven't seen it, there is a handbook at www.homehub.bt.com/html.

http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf tells me that the hub
phone port fails over to PSTN on power or broadband failure and that
999 or 112 calls also route to PSTN, which suggests a dial plan is in
operation and provides the incentive for further digging. Thanks.

A corded or DECT phone plugged into the hub allegedly rings on an
incoming PSTN call too.

phil

No more cable clowns )

Brian

On 2006-11-26, Phil Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.homehub.bt.com/html/user-guide.pdf tells me that the hub
> phone port fails over to PSTN on power or broadband failure and that
> 999 or 112 calls also route to PSTN, which suggests a dial plan is in
> operation and provides the incentive for further digging. Thanks.

Your description of what the guide says has the advantage of being
accurate. My response was based on a quick scanning and a complete
misinterpretation of the text! Thanks for the correction.

> A corded or DECT phone plugged into the hub allegedly rings on an
> incoming PSTN call too.

I was working from memory. It appears there has been a firmware change
in the last month or so. There is some discussion at

http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/?pagename=viewpost&id=4453

confirming what you write.

Brian.

Phil Thompson

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:42:54 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I was working from memory. It appears there has been a firmware change
>in the last month or so. There is some discussion at
>
>http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/?pagename=viewpost&id=4453

thanks for that, I had forgotten the extra complication of the "Hub
phone" as well as attached phones on the hub's phone socket.

Seems there was a philosophy of keeping VoIP and PSTN separate but the
hardware allows full integration even if via a back door.

Now I just need to hunt down the same on Orange's Livebox. I have
deduced from their help that it uses PSTN for emergency calls so the
tea-leaves are positive.

Phil

No more cable clowns )

Brian

On 2006-11-26, Phil Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Now I just need to hunt down the same on Orange's Livebox. I have
> deduced from their help that it uses PSTN for emergency calls so the
> tea-leaves are positive.

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk has an active forum dedicated to Livebox
issues. The very first topic leads to a page where you can download an
iso which contains a Windows Help file for the unit.

Brian.