Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Newbie - completely confused!

Newbie - completely confused!

Brian A

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:06:50 +0000, B <@> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:25:07 +0000, Phil Thompson said in article
><(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>because the things have a tremendous range of versatility and can be
>>configured for any service working to any international standard for
>>the connected phone. In practice I have set up several accounts on
>>ATAs that have required me to enter all of three or four settings, ie
>>those specific to the account.

Agreed. I think also, that Linksys/Sipura are not aiming at the single
'end user' but rather more to corporate organisations that will set up
the ATAs for the end user. You only need to read the sales blurb,
included in some descriptions, to realise that.
e.g.
"Installed by the end user and remotely provisioned, configured and
maintained by the service provider"

"IP telephony service providers and enterprise users can offer
residential and business users traditional and enhanced communication
services via the customer's broadband connection to the Internet or
Local Area Network"

>The problem is nobody can explain the need for the few dozen other
>incomprehensible parameters apart from saying "if the default settings
>don't work try playing with these other values".
>
>Why does the syntax of the so called "dial plan" have to be so
>obscure?

I don't believe that it is. I had to learn how to write a dial plan
and, having explained it to others, I know that they have a good idea
of how to do at least the basic things themselves now. I think that
the dial plan is good. When I look at, perhaps simpler, systems
employed by other manufacturers I always come back to thinking that
the linksys/Sipura dial plan system is the most versatile. Once set up
correctly the system is very 'dialer friendly'- no special codes to
dial.
If you don't like the dial plan then you can buy another make with
settings that you can more easily understand.
>Finally, after you've spent time juggling all these ATA settings
>around, why is it then necessary to have to play around with router
>port forwarding? My Vonage adapter can be plugged into any switch or
>route4r. No only is no configuration of the box required, all this
>fiddling with router port forwarding is completely unnecessary.

Presumably it works with a Stun server - unless someone else has
another explanation.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_=3B=AC=29=22?=

Polly wrote:

> Are you looking for a VoIP solution for reliably making and receiving
> telephone calls or are you more interested in joining the Wright
> Brothers to experiment and try to make the blasted thing fly?

:)

I'v decided the Wright Brothers is the safest.
If you don't expect it to work perfectly you will never be disappointed
and will always have a good back-up plan. Especially if your business
relies on it.

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar Heart RateMonitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Phil Thompson

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:06:50 +0000, B <@> wrote:

>The problem is nobody can explain the need for the few dozen other
>incomprehensible parameters apart from saying "if the default settings
>don't work try playing with these other values".

"nobody" is a bit of a generalisation. I haven't seen any parameters
on an ATA that I can't figure out or find referenced somewhere.

>Why does the syntax of the so called "dial plan" have to be so
>obscure?

its probably an entirely standard method used in PABX kit and the
like, so it would be familiar to telephony people. I used to think it
looked like Klingon too, but starting with a simple example maanged to
understand it and build a dial plan to auto-add area code to local
numbers and the like.

>Finally, after you've spent time juggling all these ATA settings
>around, why is it then necessary to have to play around with router
>port forwarding? My Vonage adapter can be plugged into any switch or
>route4r.

I''ve got one here that will stop it working.

> No only is no configuration of the box required, all this
>fiddling with router port forwarding is completely unnecessary.

same with my ATAs. no port forwarding required. The vonage kit is
after all an ATA, potentially the same as mine, just you pay over the
odds to have someone configure it for you.

Phil

No more cable clowns )