Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Almost at an end with VOIP

Almost at an end with VOIP

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:25:54 GMT, "Roger" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ive used sipgate for nearly 2 years (so am hardly a basher) but
>they do seem to be falling behind now compared to the other providers.

How do you mean falling behind they where always at the bottom of the
pile .

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:25:54 GMT, "Roger"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Ive used sipgate for nearly 2 years (so am hardly a
> > basher) but
> > they do seem to be falling behind now compared to the
> > other providers.

> How do you mean falling behind they where always at the
> bottom of the pile .

No Ron, that's your very own place, we wouldn't dream of taking it from
you..!

Ivor

Polly

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:56:16 GMT, Brian A postulated:

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 20:39:26 GMT, "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote:

>>Thnaks for all the replies - I'm now very seriously considering a move
>>to voip.co.uk - but I'm also interested in how I might place my ATA
>>between the modem and router.
>>Just how would I do this? At present I have an ethernet cable from the
>>modem to the router - can't see how to 'break' into this.

>The answer is YOU DON'T.
>Leave the cable from your modem to the router exactly as it is. Then
>take a cable from one of your router outputs, assuming you have a
>spare output, to the SPA-1001 ATA. In the router settings you may
>need to forward some ports or, alternatively, set your DMZ to the IP
>address of your ATA. It is a good idea, IMO, to disable DHCP in the
>ATA settings and, instead, to set your ATA to a static IP address. To
>make this easy you can choose the IP address given to it currently
>(get it to announce the IP in audio on the phone handset) In the ATA
>settings you can set both the ' Primary DNS' and 'Gateway' to the IP
>address of the router.
>Hope this help, if not come back for more

Ha, ha ha ha. Yes it's wonderful how many months of entertainment you
can get playing with settings while installing VoIP. It's almost as
much fun as the inventor of the first aeroplane had in trying to get
the ruddy thing off the ground. 99% of the time it didn't fly, but
what fun he had trying to make it work.

Of course the OP could go completely the other way and sign up with
Vonage. He would miss out on all the fun because it works straight out
of the box. As there aren't the hundreds of parameters to play with,
it's no fun at all is it? Obviously the OP doesn't really want to make
and receive phonecalls but instead enjoy months of entertainment
setting the system up.

Fag

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:51:46 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

>My speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320) also receives a fair few
>calls and nobody has ever reported this problem on that line either.

It must be a fag for your wife to be sitting there 24 hrs/day reading
out the announcements.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:33:58 +0000, Fag < @ > wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:51:46 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>>My speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320) also receives a fair few
>>calls and nobody has ever reported this problem on that line either.

>It must be a fag for your wife to be sitting there 24 hrs/day reading
>out the announcements.

Better for her to be doing than listing to Ivor walking round the
house all day muttering "sipgate is brilliant" "sipgate is brilliant"

Ivor Jones

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 22:33:58 +0000, Fag < @ > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:51:46 -0000, Ivor Jones wrote:
> >
> > > My speaking clock on 1431320 (020 7043 1320) also
> > > receives a fair few calls and nobody has ever
> > > reported this problem on that line either.

> > It must be a fag for your wife to be sitting there 24
> > hrs/day reading out the announcements.

> Better for her to be doing than listing to Ivor walking
> round the house all day muttering "sipgate is brilliant"
> "sipgate is brilliant"

Anything is better than being married to Dexter and having to listen to
"sipgate is crap, sipgate is crap" all day long..!

Ivor

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Roger:
> "Mick" <jev@,jb.com> wrote in message
> news:NYy9h.53806$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ACDeag wrote:

>>> Have you added the Sipura to the router's DMZ that may solve your
>>> problems as well.

>> Wow! What a difference!
>>
>> Easy to set up on the SPA1001 as a second line and then set as the
>> default line - so wifey doesn't have to dial # - wife had long call
>> on Voip.co.uk and was smiling throughout (no dropped conversations)-
>> so once I have some minor tech q's sorted out with the Voip.co.uk
>> help team (stuff like DTMF setting / STUN servers etc), I shall be
>> stress free!
>>
>> The only down side is that I will have to face the barrage of
>> laughter from mates and family who will insist that they were right
>> all along ("crap internet phone - just pay for a phone line like the
>> rest of us") .... and then I will have the battle of rebutting all
>> that when I explain all I did was change Voip provider... so HA!
>> ..... oh what it is to live the life of 'gadget man' - but hey -
>> what a saving on the bills!!
>>
>> Thanks folks for all your assistance - very much appreciated.
>>
>> Regards to you all
>>
>> Mick
>>
>> --
>>

> Interesting Mick
> I use voip.co.uk for outgoing and sipgate for incoming (on an NTL 10
> MB line) - never have a problem when I dial out but almost always
> when I receive. Ive used sipgate for nearly 2 years (so am hardly a
> basher) but they do seem to be falling behind now compared to the
> other providers.

I reported awhile back that I too was having parts of the conversation
dropped during calls, now people call my other number more, and there
are no problems whatsoever with that, so somewhere Sipgate have serious
problems on their system, as the issue is still there, yet with other
providers I have no problem.

Ivor Jones

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
wrote in message
newsx8bh.8685$(E-Mail Removed) k

[snip]

> I reported awhile back that I too was having parts of the
> conversation dropped during calls, now people call my
> other number more, and there are no problems whatsoever
> with that, so somewhere Sipgate have serious problems on
> their system, as the issue is still there, yet with other
> providers I have no problem.

So why don't I have a problem..? (Note: this is not an invitation to
Dexter to start yet another anti-Sipgate rant).

Ivor

news

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>So why don't I have a problem..?

Because, unlike the OP, you rarely make PSTN calls?

--
Ian

Harry Stottle

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk>
> wrote in message
> newsx8bh.8685$(E-Mail Removed) k
>
> [snip]
>
>> I reported awhile back that I too was having parts of the
>> conversation dropped during calls, now people call my
>> other number more, and there are no problems whatsoever
>> with that, so somewhere Sipgate have serious problems on
>> their system, as the issue is still there, yet with other
>> providers I have no problem.

> So why don't I have a problem..? (Note: this is not an invitation to
> Dexter to start yet another anti-Sipgate rant).

I also get the problem of missing parts of the conversation with Sipgate
calls.