Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype breaks free from the PC

Reply
Thread Tools

Skype breaks free from the PC

 
 
divoch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006

From Pocket-lint
http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol

I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
PVR)

divoch


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Yaz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006

"divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5bl9h.51848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> From Pocket-lint
> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>
> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
> PVR)
>
> divoch
>

the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

Yaz


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On 2006-11-23, Yaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5bl9h.51848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> From Pocket-lint
>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>>
>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
>> PVR)
>>
>> divoch
>>

> the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.


Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On 2006-11-23, divoch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> From Pocket-lint
> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>
> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
> PVR)


A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
supernode status?

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2006-11-23, Yaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:5bl9h.51848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> From Pocket-lint
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>>>
>>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
>>> PVR)
>>>
>>> divoch
>>>

>> the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

>
>Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?
>
>Brian.

If you read the article on 'Pocket-lint' all will be revealed !
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On 2006-11-23, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-11-23, Yaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> "divoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:5bl9h.51848$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>> From Pocket-lint
>>>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>>>>
>>>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
>>>> PVR)
>>>>
>>>> divoch
>>>>
>>> the siemens phone appear to be much better and Cheaper by £20.

>>
>>Which Siemens phone is that? And why is its functionality better?
>>
>>Brian.

> If you read the article on 'Pocket-lint' all will be revealed !


I did read it and it passed through my mind that comparing a SIP device
with a Skype device wasn't entirely valid. In fact, without resurecting
the protocol argument, I'm inclined to think it had little merit as an
introductory review.

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian A
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 2006-11-23, divoch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>
>> From Pocket-lint
>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>>
>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
>> PVR)

>
>A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
>supernode status?
>
>Brian.

The question is would you sooner spend £79/ £99, depending on which
one you choose for your Skype phone or buy a SIP ATA and attach it to
a set of standard DECT phones ?
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-23-2006
On 2006-11-23, Brian A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:54:24 +0000 (UTC), Brian <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On 2006-11-23, divoch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> From Pocket-lint
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y4mxol
>>>
>>> I came across this by chance (while looking for Digital TV with integrated
>>> PVR)

>>
>>A good find. What do reckon? Is it a candidate for elevation to
>>supernode status?
>>
>>Brian.

> The question is would you sooner spend £79/ £99, depending on which
> one you choose for your Skype phone or buy a SIP ATA and attach it to
> a set of standard DECT phones ?


Remind me never to be do whimsy after a port or two.

Apologies if I am misunderstanding you. The Siemens C461 IP is a SIP
phone; the DUALphone 3088 is a Skype phone. Both connect to a router so
do not rely on a computer for their operation. Asking which one to
choose for a Skype phone has only one answer.

As for buying a SIP ATA/DECT phone combination - doesn't the the C461 IP
embody that? Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin²
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2006
Brian:
>Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?


Since ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter, then the answer is NO.
There can't be one, because Skype need more functionality then just plain
touch phone.
Regards,
Martin


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2006
On 2006-11-24, Martin² <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian:
>>Also, isn't the 3088 essentially a Skype ATA?

>
> Since ATA stands for Analogue Telephone Adapter, then the answer is NO.
> There can't be one, because Skype need more functionality then just plain
> touch phone.


What additional functionality is needed that isn't provided by the
3088's interface? Isn't it an ATA/DECT combination? How about the C460
IP? You don't say whether it qualifies as ATA/DECT.

Both the 3088 and C460 IP convert an analogue signal to IP packets. An
ATA does this. Maybe they are better thought of as cordless IP phones.
Whatever category they are put in, both operate without a computer being
on - which is an interesting development in the technology.

Brian.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB Skype gateway AU-600--Can divert all of your Skype calls to your mobile. dianasun via HWKB.com VOIP 1 09-14-2009 12:29 PM
Start calling your Skype friends from your mobiles with Vox for Skype. It's Free :) synchronism UK VOIP 0 08-23-2006 05:32 PM
USB Skype box AU-600 forward Skype calls to mobile phone or traditional phone dianasun VOIP 0 06-01-2006 07:00 AM
USB Skype gateway AU-600--Can divert all of your Skype calls to your mobile. dianasun VOIP 1 11-17-2005 03:07 PM
confused about skype? (skype-in?) gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com VOIP 1 04-12-2005 03:06 PM



Advertisments