Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > I need a US to UK phone adaptor

I need a US to UK phone adaptor

¬Stephen Hammond

Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
would I need an adaptor ?

Richard Oliver

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
> Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone or
> would I need an adaptor ?

In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

RH

"Richard Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
>> Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my phone
>> or would I need an adaptor ?

> In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
> created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket and a
BT phone you want to use
you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh RH:
> "Richard Oliver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
>>> Can I just use a modem cable instead which plugs straight into my
>>> phone or would I need an adaptor ?

>> In my experience some work and some don't. Not all modem cables are
>> created equal - check which pins are actually connected etc.

> Depends what you are using it for, if you have an ATA with US socket
> and a BT phone you want to use
> you will need a US-BT converter with Ring capaciter

Ring capacitor only required for a few phones that are built to UK use
only and don't have their own ring circuit.

Still worth getting the RJ11 - BABT adaper with ring capacitor just in
case you do have a phone that requires the ring capacitor.

You could take an RJ11 cable and wire it up to a BABT master socket.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Martin˛

Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed for
old phones.
Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic
Regards,
Martin

David Cook

Martin˛ wrote:
> Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed for
> old phones.
> Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic
> Regards,
> Martin

Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.

¬Stephen Hammond

>> Maplin sells them, though I don't know if they have the capacitor needed
>> for old phones.
>> Not cheap for a little bit of tin and plastic
>> Regards,
>> Martin

> Try http://www.solwise.com/voip-sundries.htm.

I've bought one of eBay thanks anyhow. Ermm probably better to get a new
phone and use a modem lead then pay a lot for converter I think

Phil Thompson

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:41:01 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ermm probably better to get a new
>phone and use a modem lead

depends if you want it to work or not.