Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Fritz Box 7050 - some more questions

Fritz Box 7050 - some more questions

Herman

Just trying to expand my telephone cabling to make use of the three lines on
the FritzBox 7050. My questions are:

* Lines 1 & 2 have an RJ11 socket (or similar socket with RJ11 adapter -
can't remember) but Line 3 is hard-wired and expects two wires. I assume I
need to connect up a master socket to get a ring signal?
* I want to use some Cat6 cable solid core to wire up the telephone
circuits - is this suitable?
* I want to use one Cat6 cable right around the house, using three of the
wires for lines 1&2 and the last two for line 3. Do multiple master sockets
cause an issue, or can I only have one max on one line?

Thanks for your help!

Ivor Jones

"Herman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:Yo14h.4351$(E-Mail Removed)
> Just trying to expand my telephone cabling to make use of
> the three lines on the FritzBox 7050. My questions are:
>
> * Lines 1 & 2 have an RJ11 socket (or similar socket with
> RJ11 adapter - can't remember) but Line 3 is hard-wired
> and expects two wires. I assume I need to connect up a
> master socket to get a ring signal? * I want to use some
> Cat6 cable solid core to wire up the telephone circuits -
> is this suitable? * I want to use one Cat6 cable right
> around the house, using three of the wires for lines 1&2
> and the last two for line 3. Do multiple master sockets
> cause an issue, or can I only have one max on one line?
> Thanks for your help!

The RJ11 ports are only two wire, so if you need a ring wire to the phone
then yes you'll need a master socket. The supplied adaptors will include
the capacitor. I wire my lines into the exchange line ports of my PABX so
two wires are all I need.

Multiple masters aren't recommended, I would recommend a separate cable
for each line.

Ivor

Jono

Ivor Jones laid this down on his screen :
> "Herman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:Yo14h.4351$(E-Mail Removed)
>> Just trying to expand my telephone cabling to make use of
>> the three lines on the FritzBox 7050. My questions are:
>>
>> * Lines 1 & 2 have an RJ11 socket (or similar socket with
>> RJ11 adapter - can't remember) but Line 3 is hard-wired
>> and expects two wires. I assume I need to connect up a
>> master socket to get a ring signal? * I want to use some
>> Cat6 cable solid core to wire up the telephone circuits -
>> is this suitable? * I want to use one Cat6 cable right
>> around the house, using three of the wires for lines 1&2
>> and the last two for line 3. Do multiple master sockets
>> cause an issue, or can I only have one max on one line?
>> Thanks for your help!

> The RJ11 ports are only two wire, so if you need a ring wire to the phone
> then yes you'll need a master socket. The supplied adaptors will include the
> capacitor. I wire my lines into the exchange line ports of my PABX so two
> wires are all I need.
>
> Multiple masters aren't recommended, I would recommend a separate cable for
> each line.
>
> Ivor

......but what does he mean by "Lines 1 & 2 have an RJ11 socket (or
similar socket with RJ11 adapter - can't remember) but Line 3 is
hard-wired and expects two wires"....?

Is this device a 3 port device....with only 2 ports..?

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> .....but what does he mean by "Lines 1 & 2 have an RJ11
> socket (or similar socket with RJ11 adapter - can't
> remember) but Line 3 is hard-wired and expects two
> wires"....?
> Is this device a 3 port device....with only 2 ports..?

Simple, the first two ports have RJ11 sockets, the third has a small
terminal block into which you have to insert 2 wires. I suppose there
wasn't room for 3 RJ11 sockets.

Ivor

Jono

Ivor Jones formulated the question :

>> Is this device a 3 port device....with only 2 ports..?

> Simple, the first two ports have RJ11 sockets, the third has a small terminal
> block into which you have to insert 2 wires. I suppose there wasn't room for
> 3 RJ11 sockets.
>
> Ivor

One RJ45 could power three 2-pair analogue ports.

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Ivor Jones formulated the question :
>
> > > Is this device a 3 port device....with only 2 ports..?

> > Simple, the first two ports have RJ11 sockets, the
> > third has a small terminal block into which you have to
> > insert 2 wires. I suppose there wasn't room for 3 RJ11
> > sockets.

> One RJ45 could power three 2-pair analogue ports.

Which is precisely what the 7170 does, one of the reasons I'm waiting for
a UK version.

Ivor

Herman

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Ivor Jones formulated the question :

>> > Simple, the first two ports have RJ11 sockets, the
>> > third has a small terminal block into which you have to
>> > insert 2 wires. I suppose there wasn't room for 3 RJ11
>> > sockets.

>> One RJ45 could power three 2-pair analogue ports.

> Which is precisely what the 7170 does, one of the reasons I'm waiting for
> a UK version.
>
> Ivor

Cheers for the info guys. I take it the Cat6 solid core cabling is OK for
wiring up extensions?

Thanks

Ivor Jones

"Herman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:3Zs4h.19869$(E-Mail Removed)
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)
> > > Ivor Jones formulated the question :

> > > One RJ45 could power three 2-pair analogue ports.

> > Which is precisely what the 7170 does, one of the
> > reasons I'm waiting for a UK version.

> Cheers for the info guys. I take it the Cat6 solid core
> cabling is OK for wiring up extensions?

I don't see why not, as long as you don't put a single RJ45 on the other
end so it gets confused with a standard Ethernet cable. Not sure what
would happen if you plugged a PC in to the phone ports..!

Ivor