Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

¬Stephen Hammond

Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
does anyone else offer this?

700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
(23mins a day)

Correct me if I'm wrong

Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP

Stephen

Brian A

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
>does anyone else offer this?
>
>700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
>(23mins a day)
>

>Correct me if I'm wrong
>
>Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
>calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP
>
>Stephen

First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
their actual needs.
voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
£8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.

The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Polly

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 10:55:11 GMT, Brian A postulated:

>First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
>So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
>their actual needs.
>voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
>peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
>peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
>day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
>to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?

Actually, yes. Although I don't need to have that number of telephone
conversations per day, the problem is that increasingly the general
public are using 1571 (or similar) voicemail systems. What I hate
about these is that the recorded greeting is not personal so I have no
idea as to whose home I am connected to. As I will not risk leaving a
voicemail to a stranger, I always hang up. Consequently I can easily
top 14 peak calls a day simply by grappling with the 1571 droids.

>Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
>£8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.

Add £8 to what monthly cost?

>The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
>do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).

Vonage do, but, irritatingly, it's a code other than 1471 - presumably
the Yank version.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:21:06 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Add £8 to what monthly cost?

It isn't added to anything Polly Brian is another Vonage hater by the
sounds of things and just has Ivor is obsessed with Sipgate Brian is
nearly just the same regarding voip.co.uk .
I have no real complaints regarding voip.co.uk but I would sooner just
pay Vonage the eight quid and know that I can pick up the phone at
anytime of the night or day and make a call for " free" sort of .

¬Stephen Hammond

>>Add £8 to what monthly cost?

> It isn't added to anything Polly Brian is another Vonage hater by the
> sounds of things and just has Ivor is obsessed with Sipgate Brian is
> nearly just the same regarding voip.co.uk .
> I have no real complaints regarding voip.co.uk but I would sooner just
> pay Vonage the eight quid and know that I can pick up the phone at
> anytime of the night or day and make a call for " free" sort of .

Looks good I'm going to go for voip.co.uk
no way do I make 10 calls during the day every day

Ian Pawson

Brian A wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
>> does anyone else offer this?
>>
>> 700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
>> (23mins a day)
>>

>> Correct me if I'm wrong
>>
>> Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
>> calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP
>>
>> Stephen
>>

> First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
> So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
> their actual needs.
> voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
> peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
> peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
> day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
> to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
> Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
> £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
> Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
> You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.
>
> The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
> do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).
>

> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

It's only £19.99 if you pay for 12 months in advance. This service
suites my needs and has worked when I need it to. Also, the email help
and support is swift and helpful.

Brian A

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:41:31 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 12:21:06 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Add £8 to what monthly cost?

What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
your £8/month then it is wasted. If you spend a month away from home,
for example, then that wasted £8 is spread over the other 11months of
use therby costing £8.72/month you are in residence.
I think that Vonage is fine if you really are going to make full use
of it. If not then there are cheaper options.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

alexd

Brian A wrote:

> Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
> £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.

Call yourself a geek? If you go on holiday, the first thing you pack should
be your ATA Something else - Vonage adaptors are locked to Vonage, and
you can't use any kit you like with Vonage unless you pay extra for
a 'softphone' account.

20:03:10 up 13 days, 3:48, 3 users, load average: 3.00, 3.02, 3.04
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Brian A

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:11:38 GMT, Ian Pawson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Brian A wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:01:18 -0000, "¬Stephen Hammond"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Unlimited calls and proper call number display for the recipient (CLI?),
>>> does anyone else offer this?
>>>
>>> 700 mins a month isn't that much if you ask me
>>> (23mins a day)
>>>

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong
>>>
>>> Then again they're not much good when you have to pay double for mobile
>>> calls so in conclusion stuff VOIP
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>

>> First question is 'Do you really NEED unlimited calls?'
>> So many people get into this unlimited thing without first assessing
>> their actual needs.
>> voip.co.uk costs £2/month for inclusive off peak calls and 2p/call for
>> peak. If Vonage is charging £8/month that's £6 more and amounts to 300
>> peak time calls - that's approximately 300/22~= 14 peak time calls a
>> day (22 days because weekends are taken care of), thats in addition
>> to all the off peak calls. Do you really need that many calls?
>> Further, when you go away on your hols you are still paying Vonage
>> £8/month - add that to the monthly cost and the deal is even worse.
>> Caller display on voip.co.uk should be OK.
>> You do get a geo number with voip.co.uk also.
>>
>> The only downside is that the voicemail could be better and they don't
>> do a 1471 service afaik (then I don't know if Vonage do this).
>>

>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

>It's only £19.99 if you pay for 12 months in advance. This service
>suites my needs and has worked when I need it to. Also, the email help
>and support is swift and helpful.

In addition, there is another VSP ( Vyke ) offering calls to Europe
and the US at 2p/call. I only recently saw a posting here but, afaik,
no one has actually stated that they use them. You have to be quite
careful to get the right merchant URL otherwise the pricing is in US
cents.
http://tinyurl.com/ylu8os

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
>your £8/month then it is wasted.

Just like a persons eleven quid a month to BT is .

>I think that Vonage is fine if you really are going to make full use
>of it. If not then there are cheaper options.

I don't make full use of it and neither do I make full use of my TV
licence nowhere near , if I can "waste" over a hundred a year on a TV
licence eight a month to Vonage isn't going to brake the bank and I
get more use out of Vonage than I do out of the TV licence . It is a
great pity we can't just buy so many hours worth of viewing time re
the TV licence 40-50 hours a year would do me .