Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

Vonage is the only one that offers a proper service

Polly

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:09:27 +0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) postulated:

>In addition, with the notable exception of voicemail, voip.co.uk offer
>far better facilities than Vonage do.

voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
on this feature?

Mark

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:42:23 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:08:04 GMT, Brian A
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>What I meant by this is if you go on holiday and are not making use of
>>your £8/month then it is wasted.

>Just like a persons eleven quid a month to BT is .

I've just had a sudden sense of Deja Vu.

[snip]

Brian A

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:08:43 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:09:27 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) postulated:
>
>>In addition, with the notable exception of voicemail, voip.co.uk offer
>>far better facilities than Vonage do.

>voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
>option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
>there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
>on this feature?

Afaik they charge per minute - so, if I am right, not so attractive
for that application.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

M.Dexter@blueyonder.co.uk

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:08:43 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:09:27 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) postulated:
>
>>In addition, with the notable exception of voicemail, voip.co.uk offer
>>far better facilities than Vonage do.

>voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
>option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
>there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
>on this feature?

They don't Polly you will not get a better all round service in the UK
today than Vonage . I have just totaled up my calls this month so far
and if I had a BT line up to now so far next months bill from BT would
have been in the region of 13.00 including line rental and we are only
in the 8th day of the month, so by the end of November I would
probably been looking at a bill for around £ 30.00 instead of the £
7.99 from Vonage .

alexd

Brian A wrote:

> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:08:43 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 10:09:27 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) postulated:

>>>In addition, with the notable exception of voicemail, voip.co.uk offer
>>>far better facilities than Vonage do.

>> voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
>> option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
>> there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
>> on this feature?

> Afaik they charge per minute - so, if I am right, not so attractive
> for that application.

Not quite sure I understand that - surely forwarding a call to a geo number
is no different to placing a call to a geo number? Then again,
second-guessing the business models of telecoms companies is fraught with
danger.

Workaround of the Day: Install Asterisk. Register a free Sipgate account for
incoming calls and a voip.co.uk for outbound. Do call diverts and voicemail
on your Asterisk box. Job done!

20:20:44 up 15 days, 4:06, 3 users, load average: 3.02, 3.08, 3.08
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Jono

alexd was thinking very hard :

> Workaround of the Day: Install Asterisk. Register a free Sipgate account for
> incoming calls and a voip.co.uk for outbound. Do call diverts and voicemail
> on your Asterisk box. Job done!

Not so effective if the reason for needing the forward is because the
connection to the ITSP is down.

hairydog@despammed.com

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:08:43 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
>option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
>there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
>on this feature?

I don't understand what you are asking about.

Let's assume that your voip number is 01234 567890 and you want to
forward all calls to that number elsewhere, to 01432 456789. If that's
a BT number, you pay about 1p per minute.

If it's a voip.co.uk number, it's free. However, I can't see the point
in that. Why not take the VOIP phone to the new location?

Or do you mean something else entirely?

hairydog@despammed.com

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:17:04 GMT, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Not so effective if the reason for needing the forward is because the
>connection to the ITSP is down.

You can set up forwarding to that it only goes there if the call can't
be connected.

OTOH, the only times our internet connection has been down have been
when the BT voice line has been down. On one of those occasions, I
connected the voip via a neighbour's wi-fi.

Paul Cupis

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have just totaled up my calls this month so far
> and if I had a BT line up to now so far next months bill from BT would
> have been in the region of 13.00 including line rental and we are only
> in the 8th day of the month, so by the end of November I would
> probably been looking at a bill for around £ 30.00 instead of the £
> 7.99 from Vonage .

Can you please explain your sums to get to the BT figures you've quoted?

£13 over 8 days does not make £30 over 30 days in my book.

Polly

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:48:31 +0000, (E-Mail Removed) postulated:

>On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:08:43 +0000, Polly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>voip.co.uk looks attractive. However Vonage offer a call forwarding
>>option for incoming calls. If the forwarded number is 01... or 02...
>>there is no charge for this forwarding. How do voip.co.uk measure up
>>on this feature?

>I don't understand what you are asking about.

It's called "SimulRing"
http://www.vonage.co.uk/features.php...all_forwarding

I have yet to find anyone else offering this. Unlike voip.co.uk and
others I've looked at there is no extra charge for it.