Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipura 942's very quiet on outgoing speech

Sipura 942's very quiet on outgoing speech

John P

I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous
people we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased
the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

TIA

JP

Telephoneman

"John P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45423845$0$1380$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
>speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
>gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?
>
> TIA
>
> JP

If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

Liam

Tim Bray

John P wrote:
> I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people
> we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the
> handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?

Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.

The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.

Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.

Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be
quiet.

It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
so describe it as quiet.

Tim

John P

Telephoneman wrote:
> "John P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45423845$0$1380$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous people we
>> speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased the handset
>> gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve things ?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> JP

> If it's of any help I had the same problem with a couple of Sipura 841s,
> which were US spec. After I downloaded the latest UK firmware (I think I got
> it from the voiptalk site?) they were fine.

Thanks - I will have a look at that.

John P

Tim Bray wrote:
> John P wrote:
>> I have three Sipura 942 handsets on a Gradwell account. Numerous
>> people we speak to complain that we are very quiet - I have increased
>> the handset gain to 6 (from 0) Anything else we can do to improve
>> things ?

> Possibly turning down the ear piece volume.
>

> The echo canceller may well be at work, lowering the microphone gain.
>

> Basically, if what comes out of the ear piece is going back into the
> microphone, then the echo canceller is going to be doing work.
>
> Also, which codec are you using? Use G.711a. If you are using G.729
> or G.723, then many listeners will perceive the received audio to be quiet.
>
> It isn't because it is quiet, just because they can't hear properly and
> so describe it as quiet.

Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?

Tim

John P wrote:

> Using G711u - should I change that to G711a ?

Yes.

Tim