Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

DrayTek Vigor 2700V, Any Good?

Phil

OK Guys, thanks for the advice. I am not very far away from my exchange
about 700 metres as the crow flies so that shouldn't be too much of an
issue.
Again many thanks for all the advice

alexd

Martin² wrote:

> To Adam L:
>>There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems
>>are able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

> As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI
> chipset, and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line.
> Unfortunately it's WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I
> reverted to using Vigor 2600VG at 2Mb/s.

I've found WiFi performance with Zyxel's Prestige 600 series to be utterly
dire - lots of reports from customers of the wireless not working outside
of the room that the router is in, and similar. They say they've improved
it in the -D1 series, but I've yet to try it. OTOH, their ADSL performance
is great - they use the same TI chipset as Draytek.

10:19:47 up 3 days, 17:05, 2 users, load average: 3.03, 3.07, 3.07
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

alexd

Martin² wrote:

> To Adam L:
>>There can be quite large differences in the sync speeds that the modems
>>are able to achieve, depending on chipset, firmware etc.

> As per my original post, the Zyxel 2602 HW uses an award wining TI
> chipset, and I found it could maintain 3Mb/s on my poor 5km line.
> Unfortunately it's WiFi didn't work well in my circumstances, so I
> reverted to using Vigor 2600VG at 2Mb/s.

Something I forgot to mention in my other post - patch the two together via
their ethernet ports [they should both be MDI-Auto] and make sure DHCP is
turned off on one of them. Hey presto - 3Meg of internet, available
wirelessly!

08:10:12 up 4 days, 15:55, 2 users, load average: 3.24, 3.13, 3.10
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Martin²

Alexd:
>Something I forgot to mention in my other post - patch the two together via
>their ethernet ports [they should both be MDI-Auto] and make sure DHCP is
>turned off on one of them. Hey presto - 3Meg of internet, available
>wirelessly!

Yes, I thought of that, but the difference between 2Mb/s and 3Mb/s didn't
warrant the expense,
so I sold the Zyxel on Ebay and got my money back.
Girlfriend in a close prox. of an exchange, living in modern papier mache
house gets full 8Mb/s, good WiFi coverage and reliable VoIP from the same
Zyxel 2602HWL.
I take my laptop there for big downloads...etc.
Regards,
Martin