Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype to Zoom X5V Global Village VOIP line

Skype to Zoom X5V Global Village VOIP line

huLLy

As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

Cheers,

--
huLLy
07976 123278

Ivor Jones

"huLLy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP
> number?
> Cheers,

Yes, but not for free.

Ivor

Brian

On 2006-10-17, huLLy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

If by 'VOIP number' you mean the seven digit Global Village SIP number
it is not possible. At least not directly and not without having Skype
and a helper program running.

Now if you are talking about a DID number supplied by Global Village
there should be no problem with that.

Brian.

huLLy

Brian wrote:
> On 2006-10-17, huLLy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> As above, can I use Skype to dial my Global Village VOIP number?

> If by 'VOIP number' you mean the seven digit Global Village SIP number
> it is not possible. At least not directly and not without having Skype
> and a helper program running.
>
> Now if you are talking about a DID number supplied by Global Village
> there should be no problem with that.
>
> Brian.

Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
evolution.

Cheers to all that replied.

--
huLLy
07976 123278
"Sliced bread makes me sneeze"

Scope

huLLy wrote:
> Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
> protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
> evolution.
>
> Cheers to all that replied.

Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
this feature. This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
anybody else.

The Invalid

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:16 +0100, Scope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>huLLy wrote:
>> Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
>> protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
>> evolution.
>>
>> Cheers to all that replied.
>>

>Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
>this feature.

You doubt but you don't know.
It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
friends in Australia, the US and France.
Why should I want anything else? to speak to nurds about bandwidth and
bits and bytes?
Dream on

>This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
>you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
>anybody else.

No the reason many techies don't use it is because it works without
having to make hundreds of posts explaining to other poor sods how to
fix their problems

Thomas Kenyon

The Invalid wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:42:16 +0100, Scope <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> huLLy wrote:
>>> Rather annoying that Skype can't call VOIP numbers free... I guess they are
>>> protecting their own. Maybe it will be a feature added later in the programs
>>> evolution.
>>>
>>> Cheers to all that replied.
>>>

>> Skype is all about making money, and I doubt very much they will add
>> this feature.

> You doubt but you don't know.
> It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
> friends in Australia, the US and France.
> Why should I want anything else? to speak to nurds about bandwidth and
> bits and bytes?
> Dream on

Err, afaik you can make video calls using all the VoIP services available.

>> This is one of the reasons many of us dont choose Skype;
>> you are locked into one provider and have to pay once you want to call
>> anybody else.

> No the reason many techies don't use it is because it works without
> having to make hundreds of posts explaining to other poor sods how to
> fix their problems

So it's not the bandwidth hogging caused by the software turning anyone
with more than a reasonable connection into a hub for directing
controlling traffic.

(Actually it's probably more the lack of a standards-based solution, a
lack of peering agreements and the way it can't work with enum).

Scope

The Invalid wrote:
> You doubt but you don't know.
> It costs me nothing to call and use a video link to relatives and
> friends in Australia, the US and France.
> Why should I want anything else?

Correct me if I am wrong, but for free you can only call other Skype
users!? Not everybody uses Skype, in fact, I hardly know anybody myself
who uses Skype. With VoIP, using the right VoIP provider I can call any
landline in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, US (mobile and landline),
and so on, for FREE..

I can call my grandma who certainly wouldnt have Skype, or my doctor to
make an appointment (coz I doubt very much they have a skype machine
running), the shop to order something, the list goes one.. I am free to
call whoever I wish, not just other Skype users.. To me that sounds way
more interesting than being able to connect my USB phone/headset to my
computer to avoid having to configure my ATA.

I know you can call to landlines using Skype aswell, but then we are
back to the original point I was trying to make.. Its all about money then.

Martin²

Scope:
>With VoIP, using the right VoIP provider I can call any landline in Europe,
>Australia, New Zealand, US (mobile and landline), and so on, for FREE..

Which provider, please ?
Regards,
Martin

Paul G

"Martin²" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4536c917$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which provider, please ?
> Regards,
> Martin

voipstunt