Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Dect Caller ID issue and dropped calls

Reply
Thread Tools

Dect Caller ID issue and dropped calls

 
 
Mick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
Hi Folks.

I'm on the Sipgate service - and as far as I'm concerned, it's just
fine.
My wife however insists that cals keep dropping out mid sentence though
the line satys conencted and the call continues.
My mates tell me it's awful from their end as it a) drops out for a
second b) very faint - (though I don't trust them not to be simply
winding me up!) ... are there any issues with dropped or faint calls -
is there anything I ought to know about this issue (I know nothing).
I have never experienced any of these symptoms myself.

I'm running on 4Mb NTL always on - Belking router - all ports available
as per Sipgate settings sugestions.

Also - incoming calls do not always show the ID of the caller - I think
this is a phone issue and not Sipgate - I use Binatone DECT phones.

I have a feeling that other DECT phones show caller ID without any
hassles on Sipgate - any comments? I'd be looking to purchase BT
Synergy 3105 phones - any good?

Thanks in advance

Mick

--

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
alexd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
Mick wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> I'm on the Sipgate service - and as far as I'm concerned, it's just
> fine.
> My wife however insists that cals keep dropping out mid sentence though
> the line satys conencted and the call continues.
> My mates tell me it's awful from their end as it a) drops out for a
> second b) very faint - (though I don't trust them not to be simply
> winding me up!) ... are there any issues with dropped or faint calls -
> is there anything I ought to know about this issue (I know nothing).
> I have never experienced any of these symptoms myself.


Are you downloading heavily during phone calls, perchance? Have you
attempted to implement QOS at all?

> I'm running on 4Mb NTL always on - Belking router - all ports available
> as per Sipgate settings sugestions.
>
> Also - incoming calls do not always show the ID of the caller - I think
> this is a phone issue and not Sipgate - I use Binatone DECT phones.


Could it be that not all calls you get have CLID available?

> I have a feeling that other DECT phones show caller ID without any
> hassles on Sipgate - any comments? I'd be looking to purchase BT
> Synergy 3105 phones - any good?


I would check the settings on your ATA [you didn't mention which model
you're using] before throwing away you Binatone phones. If they have ever
displayed CLID for you on a BT landline, then they're bound to work if your
ATA is configured properly.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ((E-Mail Removed))
20:03:04 up 1 day, 23:43, 5 users, load average: 0.57, 1.14, 1.06
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-12-2006
alexd wrote:

> Mick wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks.
> >
> > I'm on the Sipgate service - and as far as I'm concerned, it's just
> > fine.
> > My wife however insists that cals keep dropping out mid sentence
> > though the line satys conencted and the call continues.
> > My mates tell me it's awful from their end as it a) drops out for a
> > second b) very faint - (though I don't trust them not to be simply
> > winding me up!) ... are there any issues with dropped or faint
> > calls - is there anything I ought to know about this issue (I know
> > nothing). I have never experienced any of these symptoms myself.

>
> Are you downloading heavily during phone calls, perchance? Have you
> attempted to implement QOS at all?
>
> > I'm running on 4Mb NTL always on - Belking router - all ports
> > available as per Sipgate settings sugestions.
> >
> > Also - incoming calls do not always show the ID of the caller - I
> > think this is a phone issue and not Sipgate - I use Binatone DECT
> > phones.

>
> Could it be that not all calls you get have CLID available?
>
> > I have a feeling that other DECT phones show caller ID without any
> > hassles on Sipgate - any comments? I'd be looking to purchase BT
> > Synergy 3105 phones - any good?

>
> I would check the settings on your ATA [you didn't mention which model
> you're using] before throwing away you Binatone phones. If they have
> ever displayed CLID for you on a BT landline, then they're bound to
> work if your ATA is configured properly.



Ok here goes ... please bear in mind I'm no techie!

Q "Have you > attempted to implement QOS at all?"
A What's QOS??

Q"Are you downloading heavily during phone calls, perchance?"
A No - usually, the Internet isn't being used.

Q "I would check the settings on your ATA [you didn't mention which
model> you're using]" -
A I'm using the Sipura 1001 - and it basically has the settings it came
with, though for caller ID it says ETSI FSK with PR(UK) - whatever that
means.
I thought I'd read somwehere on this group that all sorts of extra
stuff gets sent down the line to the phone using VOIP - or an ATA - or
something like that - and some phones canot display all the incoming
data - the Binatones phones display most - but not all of the incoming
number - but on NTL (previous telecom provider) the caller ID worked
fine and the callers name from the address book was diplayed - that
isn't happening now.

I appreciate the help folks.

Mick


--

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connected to ATA my DECT doesn't show incoming PSTN Caller IDs dmitri UK VOIP 4 02-11-2007 05:06 PM
Dropped Skype calls when house phone rings. yashvan@gmail.com VOIP 6 06-28-2006 05:18 PM
Handytone 486 and DECT phone. Caller ID muzz UK VOIP 5 03-14-2006 09:29 PM
How can I determine the cause of dropped Vonage calls? cjtwantstoknow@yahoo.com VOIP 0 08-30-2005 05:38 PM
Can't get function caller if the caller is from a function within a popup window Mark Javascript 2 04-03-2004 07:57 AM



Advertisments