Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voxalot

Voxalot

alexd

Brian wrote:

> On 2006-10-12, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Well, I had to put my ISP's DNS server addresses in my SPA in order to
>> get Voxalot to function.

This is probably essential for any ATA connected to any provider.

> I've always done either that or used a nameserver running on my network.
> These days I stick with my ISP's DNS in case the machine running my own
> DNS is offline. But that's with all providers, not just Voxalot.
>
>> I seem to have had to do this as I had turned DHCP off (it's got a
>> static internal IP address)

> This is what I don't understand, possibly because DHCP is something I am
> not familiar with. I suppose I should read up on it but if DHCP is used
> which nameservers does it use?

If you have a DHCP server on your network, it will give out the DNS with the
other lease information. So it's down to how your DHCP server is
programmed; in most cases the DHCP server is the DSL router/cable modem,
and how it's programmed is it gets the DNS server addresses from your ISP.

20:09:40 up 1 day, 23:50, 5 users, load average: 1.34, 1.34, 1.19
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Brian

On 2006-10-12, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> On 2006-10-12, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Well, I had to put my ISP's DNS server addresses in my SPA in order to
>>> get Voxalot to function.

> This is probably essential for any ATA connected to any provider.
>
>> I've always done either that or used a nameserver running on my network.
>> These days I stick with my ISP's DNS in case the machine running my own
>> DNS is offline. But that's with all providers, not just Voxalot.
>>
>>> I seem to have had to do this as I had turned DHCP off (it's got a
>>> static internal IP address)

>> This is what I don't understand, possibly because DHCP is something I am
>> not familiar with. I suppose I should read up on it but if DHCP is used
>> which nameservers does it use?

> If you have a DHCP server on your network, it will give out the DNS with the
> other lease information. So it's down to how your DHCP server is
> programmed; in most cases the DHCP server is the DSL router/cable modem,
> and how it's programmed is it gets the DNS server addresses from your ISP.

So specifying the DNS server addresses or letting the DHCP server take
care of DNS would get you the same service. Which would seem to indicate
a failure to register is not due to a lookup failure.

What would happen if the ATA was given a static IP while using DHCP? I
imagine the ATA would in general have two addresses. Could there be
problems with returning packets not being routed back to it?

Brian.

Ivor Jones

"alexd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Brian wrote:
>
> > On 2006-10-12, Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Well, I had to put my ISP's DNS server addresses in
> > > my SPA in order to get Voxalot to function.

> This is probably essential for any ATA connected to any
> provider.

Not if you're using DHCP. I just put the root IP address of the router, in
this case my Fritz!Box, which is set to 192.168.1.1.

> > I've always done either that or used a nameserver
> > running on my network. These days I stick with my ISP's
> > DNS in case the machine running my own DNS is offline.
> > But that's with all providers, not just Voxalot.
> >
> > > I seem to have had to do this as I had turned DHCP
> > > off (it's got a static internal IP address)

> > This is what I don't understand, possibly because DHCP
> > is something I am not familiar with. I suppose I should
> > read up on it but if DHCP is used which nameservers
> > does it use?

> If you have a DHCP server on your network, it will give
> out the DNS with the other lease information. So it's
> down to how your DHCP server is programmed; in most cases
> the DHCP server is the DSL router/cable modem, and how
> it's programmed is it gets the DNS server addresses from
> your ISP.

That's it exactly.

Ivor

Paul Cupis

Brian wrote:
> On 2006-10-12, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> If you have a DHCP server on your network, it will give out the DNS with the
>> other lease information. So it's down to how your DHCP server is
>> programmed; in most cases the DHCP server is the DSL router/cable modem,
>> and how it's programmed is it gets the DNS server addresses from your ISP.

> So specifying the DNS server addresses or letting the DHCP server take
> care of DNS would get you the same service.

I don't see how you got from there to here.

> Which would seem to indicate
> a failure to register is not due to a lookup failure.
>
> What would happen if the ATA was given a static IP while using DHCP? I
> imagine the ATA would in general have two addresses.

No.

Brian

On 2006-10-13, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>> On 2006-10-12, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> If you have a DHCP server on your network, it will give out the DNS with the
>>> other lease information. So it's down to how your DHCP server is
>>> programmed; in most cases the DHCP server is the DSL router/cable modem,
>>> and how it's programmed is it gets the DNS server addresses from your ISP.

>> So specifying the DNS server addresses or letting the DHCP server take
>> care of DNS would get you the same service.

> I don't see how you got from there to here.

It would help if you would expand on this.

>> Which would seem to indicate
>> a failure to register is not due to a lookup failure.
>>
>> What would happen if the ATA was given a static IP while using DHCP? I
>> imagine the ATA would in general have two addresses.

> No.

Which address would it use?

Brian.

Paul Cupis

Brian wrote:
> On 2006-10-13, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Brian wrote:
>>> Which would seem to indicate
>>> a failure to register is not due to a lookup failure.
>>>
>>> What would happen if the ATA was given a static IP while using DHCP? I
>>> imagine the ATA would in general have two addresses.

>> No.

> Which address would it use?

If it is configured with a static IP is will use it, if it is configured
to use DHCP if will use the IP it is issued by the DHCP server. You
cannot configure it with a static IP and use DHCP unless you configure
the static IP on the DHCP server, in which case the ATA is "just" using
DHCP and knows nothing of the static nature of the lease.

It will only have one IP and it will use that one.

Brian

On 2006-10-13, Paul Cupis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian wrote:

>>> No.

>> Which address would it use?

> If it is configured with a static IP is will use it, if it is configured
> to use DHCP if will use the IP it is issued by the DHCP server. You
> cannot configure it with a static IP and use DHCP unless you configure
> the static IP on the DHCP server, in which case the ATA is "just" using
> DHCP and knows nothing of the static nature of the lease.
>
> It will only have one IP and it will use that one.

That's a nice clarification. Thanks.

Brian.

Voxalot issues Herman UK VOIP 2 06-08-2007 06:25 PM
Anyone having problems with Voxalot? Graham UK VOIP 2 05-20-2007 11:28 PM
voxalot.com and Betamax Graham UK VOIP 2 04-09-2007 06:27 PM
Voxalot Yaz VOIP 1 01-17-2007 11:47 PM
Difference between Voxalot and SIPBroker? benn686@hotmail.com UK VOIP 3 09-06-2006 08:59 AM

Advertisments