Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Voipdiscount Outgoing Calls with Sipgate Incoming Calls on a Linksys PAP2

Voipdiscount Outgoing Calls with Sipgate Incoming Calls on a Linksys PAP2

Oldie

Jono wrote:

(snipped)

> Are you now saying Sipgate won't work on inbound calls?

Sipgate works fine on inbound calls to Voxalot for me.

Oldie

Brian

On 2006-10-07, Oldie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Giganews wrote:
>> I've now set up Voxalot with -
>>
>> 020 numbers outbound via Voipdiscount which works
>> 07 numbers via Draytel which does not register and does not work
>>
>> I've now got no incoming calls to my PAP2.
>>
>> Any ideas guys?

> When you set up a Provider, remember to set Sip Register to "Yes" so
> that it will handle incoming calls. Otherwise it will be outgoing only
> (and some providers don't need to be registered to let you make
> outgoing calls).

Sound advice. Voipdiscount is one of the providers which take outgoing
calls without registration. Giganews doesn't mention whether there is a
Voipdiscount registration shown but if there is not it would account
for the lack of incoming calls from them.

> It can take up to 24 hours to register a provider. I have no experience
> with Draytel, but most others handle incoming calls OK. If you have a
> problem with a provider not handling inbound calls to Voxalot, a
> workaround that I have found is to have the provider divert to a SIP
> provider that does. An example mighrt be Free World Dialup. Divert to
> *393yourid in that case.

VoXaLot are planning to improve on the 24 hour waiting period so until
that change takes place some patience may be required. It is probably
best to set up a provider and then leave the configuation alone.

I cannot see the diversion advice working. Surely there has to be a
registration for a call on a PSTN number to get to VoXaLot?

Brian.

Giganews

When I used Voipdiscount with the PAP2 and no Voxalot I could get incoming
and out going
call with no problem.

With Voxalot, Voipdiscount registered fine but could get outgoing calls
only.
With Draytel and Voxalot the registration is coming up as failed so I've no
idea what's wrong
there and I have £20 of credit with them too.......

The joys of being a newbie!

"Oldie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Giganews wrote:
>> Hi Oldie,
>> Do you have an an example of a UK dialplan, the thought of putting one
>> together from scratch seems a bit daunting.

> You do it on a line-by-line basis. For example, my line 1 reads
>
> 1 _01. ${EXTEN} Voipdiscount Yes
>
> Which means: If the number starts with 01, route it through
> Voipdiscount. The "Yes" meams that it's active. Then I do the same for
> _02, _00 etc.
>
> Oldie

Mike

On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:53:02 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

> You are basically correct about Sipgate's policy but if there is a
> registration request from VoXaLot which is accepted then there is
> authentication.

Uhmm, I'm a little confused on this now! I currently have two providers,
Sipgate and Voiptalk setup on my SPA1001's two lines, but the original idea
was to use the Voiptalk number for incoming only and route it to Sipgate,
thus only using one line, leaving the second free for a cheapo/free
provider. Are you saying that I could route first to Voxalot and then to
Sipgate and this would work?

--

Mike

Oldie

Brian wrote:

(snipped)

> > It can take up to 24 hours to register a provider. I have no experience
> > with Draytel, but most others handle incoming calls OK. If you have a
> > problem with a provider not handling inbound calls to Voxalot, a
> > workaround that I have found is to have the provider divert to a SIP
> > provider that does. An example mighrt be Free World Dialup. Divert to
> > *393yourid in that case.

> VoXaLot are planning to improve on the 24 hour waiting period so until
> that change takes place some patience may be required. It is probably
> best to set up a provider and then leave the configuation alone.
>
> I cannot see the diversion advice working. Surely there has to be a
> registration for a call on a PSTN number to get to VoXaLot?

Maybe I wasn't too clear. It was a bit late when I wrote that. What I
meant was that you can open an account with FWD and have it forward all
incoming calls to a provider such as Sipgate, which in my case works
well with Voxalot for inbound calls.

Then, if you have a provider (Draytel in the OP's case) with which you
are having trouble inbound to Voxalot, arrange for it to forward all
its incoming calls to FWD. The incoming call then goes Draytel -> FWD
-> Sipgate. If this forwarding is at SIP level there will be no charge.
This obviously relies on Draytel offering a facility to redirect calls
another SIP provider. (I don't know if it does).

You could of course go Draytel -> Sipgate directly, but not all
providers have reciprocal peering arrangements. They pretty well all
seem to have one with FWD, though.

In this scenario, the only provider that needs to be registered with
Voxalot for incoming calls is Sipgate, although Draytel will need to be
registered as well if you want to use it for outgoing calls.

Oldie

Brian

On 2006-10-08, Mike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:53:02 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
>
>> You are basically correct about Sipgate's policy but if there is a
>> registration request from VoXaLot which is accepted then there is
>> authentication.

> Uhmm, I'm a little confused on this now! I currently have two providers,
> Sipgate and Voiptalk setup on my SPA1001's two lines, but the original idea
> was to use the Voiptalk number for incoming only and route it to Sipgate,
> thus only using one line, leaving the second free for a cheapo/free
> provider.

As I am sure you appreciate your original idea will not work because if
you divert to <(E-Mail Removed)> Sipgate will not accept the
call. Any SIP call has to come from a registered Sipgate line or a
source they have a special arrangement with. Closed networks - don't you
just love them?

If you have a fixed IP number why not divert directly to your ATA? Even
with a dynamic IP you could arrange to do that.

> Are you saying that I could route first to Voxalot and then to
> Sipgate and this would work?

Voxalot registers with Sipgate on your behalf so Sipgate is happy with a
SIP call originating from there. You should be able to divert your
Voiptalk number to Voxalot and, with the right dial plan, have Voxalot
send the call to your phone via Sipgate.

Brian.

Oldie

Mike wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 14:53:02 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:
>
> > You are basically correct about Sipgate's policy but if there is a
> > registration request from VoXaLot which is accepted then there is
> > authentication.

> Uhmm, I'm a little confused on this now! I currently have two providers,
> Sipgate and Voiptalk setup on my SPA1001's two lines, but the original idea
> was to use the Voiptalk number for incoming only and route it to Sipgate,
> thus only using one line, leaving the second free for a cheapo/free
> provider. Are you saying that I could route first to Voxalot and then to
> Sipgate and this would work?

Your original idea is good. It will do what you want, since Voiptalk
allows you to route to other providers. What Brian meant (I think) is
that if you register your Sipgate account with Voxalot and that if
Voxalot accepts that registration it will work even though there is no
peering arrangement.

In my experience this is the case, and I use Sipgate this way. For your
case there would seem to be no advantage, though if you would like to
make outgoing calls from both your Voiptalk and Sipgate accounts this
is an option. You can then add other providers as you wish.

Oldie

Oldie

Oldie wrote:

(snipped)

> Your original idea is good.

To follow up on my own post (bad netiquette, I know) I've just read
Brian's post and I think I might be confused myself. I thought I had
redirected to Sipgate, but then I've routed and rerouted so many times
I can't now be sure what configurations work and which don't! I'll have
to check my setups.

Still, as we both said, Voxalot will do it!

Oldie

Mike

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 20:03:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian wrote:

> As I am sure you appreciate your original idea will not work because if
> you divert to <(E-Mail Removed)> Sipgate will not accept the
> call.

Unfortunately, I didn't at the time

> If you have a fixed IP number why not divert directly to your ATA? Even
> with a dynamic IP you could arrange to do that.

I haven't really looked at this, but wouldn't it tie up a line also?

> You should be able to divert your Voiptalk number to Voxalot and
> with the right dial plan, have Voxalot send the call to your phone via Sipgate.

Thanks, that's good to know. I already have a voxalot account but it's not
being used presently. I'll have to have a play. Not sure why I'd need a
dial plan though, as all calls would be routed onto Spgate?

--

Mike

Brian

On 2006-10-08, Oldie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
> (snipped)
>
>> > It can take up to 24 hours to register a provider. I have no experience
>> > with Draytel, but most others handle incoming calls OK. If you have a
>> > problem with a provider not handling inbound calls to Voxalot, a
>> > workaround that I have found is to have the provider divert to a SIP
>> > provider that does. An example mighrt be Free World Dialup. Divert to
>> > *393yourid in that case.

[A small snip]

>> I cannot see the diversion advice working. Surely there has to be a
>> registration for a call on a PSTN number to get to VoXaLot?

> Maybe I wasn't too clear. It was a bit late when I wrote that. What I
> meant was that you can open an account with FWD and have it forward all
> incoming calls to a provider such as Sipgate, which in my case works
> well with Voxalot for inbound calls.

I would question FWD -> Sipgate being possible. Not having a FWD account
I cannot make a direct test but from a Voxalot account *211<sipgate_no>
fails. Sipgate have a policy of not accepting a SIP URI so, unless they
have made an exception for calls from FWD, my expectation of success is
low.

> Then, if you have a provider (Draytel in the OP's case) with which you
> are having trouble inbound to Voxalot, arrange for it to forward all
> its incoming calls to FWD. The incoming call then goes Draytel -> FWD
> -> Sipgate. If this forwarding is at SIP level there will be no charge.
> This obviously relies on Draytel offering a facility to redirect calls
> another SIP provider. (I don't know if it does).

Even if Draytel allowed redirection to a SIP URI (and their FAQ says
they don't) the FWD -> Sipgate link will likely break.

> You could of course go Draytel -> Sipgate directly, but not all
> providers have reciprocal peering arrangements. They pretty well all
> seem to have one with FWD, though.
>
> In this scenario, the only provider that needs to be registered with
> Voxalot for incoming calls is Sipgate, although Draytel will need to be
> registered as well if you want to use it for outgoing calls.

Your ideas are spot on and indicate how useful VoIP can be. Substitute
'Voipfone' or 'Voiptalk' for 'Sipgate' and they would work. To get what
he wants the OP will have to look to Voxalot because one of his
providers, Sipgate, does not offer redirection at all and, in addition,
will not accept unauthenticated calls, and the other provider, Draytel,
does not redirect to a SIP number.

Brian.