Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > The simplest and cheapest PBX-like device?

The simplest and cheapest PBX-like device?

Ramon F Herrera

I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
"intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?

Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
thing?

Thanks so much for your kind assistance, my two aunts will appreciate
it, too.

-Ramon

Roy

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
> of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
> expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
> "intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
> and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
> data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
> share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
> full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?
>
> Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
> thing?
>
> Thanks so much for your kind assistance, my two aunts will appreciate
> it, too.
>
> -Ramon

What distance is next to each other? Why not run a telephone cable or
use an extended range multihandset wireless telephone?

Terry

"Ramon F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
> of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
> expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
> "intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
> and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
> data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
> share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
> full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?
>
> Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
> thing?
>
> Thanks so much for your kind assistance, my two aunts will appreciate
> it, too.
>
> -Ramon

Ols Avaya 206.

TerryS

William Warren

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
> of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
> expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
> "intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
> and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
> data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
> share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
> full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?
>
> Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
> thing?
>
> Thanks so much for your kind assistance, my two aunts will appreciate
> it, too.

Ramon,

If you can run a direct wire between them, there are two ways to solve
the problem:

1. Construct an intercom circuit and use separate phones
2. Use "Field" phones like the Army sells surplus

HTH.

William
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)

Carl Navarro

On 31 Jan 2007 09:10:41 -0800, "Ramon F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
>of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
>expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
>"intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
>and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
>data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
>share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
>full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?

Probablhy. Something with handset to base communications. I have a
Panasonic with dual handsets, but I've never really tried to
communicate handset to handset.

>Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
>thing?

Of course. You probably need to be within 500 feet and need 4 wires
to make the really inexpensive Tie 612/616 blue boxes work. Probably
$50 and a few buxks shipping could get you a cabinet and 3 phones.

Carl Navarro

Steven Stone

A pair of inexpensive FRS radios with PL (tone encoding), maybe even a
digital xmit mode.

morten reistad

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Carl Navarro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On 31 Jan 2007 09:10:41 -0800, "Ramon F Herrera" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>I am trying to find a communications solution for two elder relatives
>>of mine. They live next to each other in a place where phone calls are
>>expensive, even local ones. I have considered a couple of
>>"intercommunicators" which have to be plugged only to the AC power,
>>and the voice is modulated by the 110v. signal, with no need for a
>>data cable. The problem with this solution is that the two homes don't
>>share the electrical circuit. I would like the communication to be
>>full duplex, too. Are there full duplex wireless phones?

>Probablhy. Something with handset to base communications. I have a
>Panasonic with dual handsets, but I've never really tried to
>communicate handset to handset.

You can use IP-telephony, a tiny asterisk installation and a few
handsets. You may use WiFi to reach the other party.

Another solution is a DECT bridge between two DECT base stations.

Both of these have ranges of a few hundred meters if you install them
right.

>>Finally, what about a tiny, inexpensive, 2 line PBX? Is there such a
>>thing?

>Of course. You probably need to be within 500 feet and need 4 wires
>to make the really inexpensive Tie 612/616 blue boxes work. Probably
>$50 and a few buxks shipping could get you a cabinet and 3 phones.

Use radio if you can.

-- mrr