Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > no "show ip route" on AP1230

no "show ip route" on AP1230

dt1649651@yahoo.com

My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not understand
the command "show ip route".

Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
upgrade the IOS ?

Thanks,

DT

Scooby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not understand
> the command "show ip route".
>
> Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
> upgrade the IOS ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DT

An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not understand
routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?

Joe Matuscak

[This followup was posted to comp.dcom.sys.cisco and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not understand
> the command "show ip route".
>
> Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
> upgrade the IOS ?

They aren't routers, they just point to a default gateway.

--
Joe Matuscak
Rohrer Corporation

dt1649651@yahoo.com

Scooby wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not

understand
> > the command "show ip route".
> >
> > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
> > upgrade the IOS ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > DT
> >

> An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not

understand
> routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?

I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
oh

Thanks for the explanation.

DT

Scooby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Scooby wrote:
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not

> understand
> > > the command "show ip route".
> > >
> > > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
> > > upgrade the IOS ?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > DT
> > >

> > An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not

> understand
> > routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?

> I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
> firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
> default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
> oh
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> DT

Ah, then you'd use the 'ip default-gateway' command to specify your gateway.
At this point, the device is more like a network client, not a router.

Jim

Aaron Leonard

On 20 May 2005 10:37:11 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

~
~ Scooby wrote:
~ > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
~ > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
~ > > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not
~ understand
~ > > the command "show ip route".
~ > >
~ > > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
~ > > upgrade the IOS ?
~ > >
~ > > Thanks,
~ > >
~ > > DT
~ > >
~ >
~ > An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not
~ understand
~ > routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?
~
~ I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
~ firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
~ default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
~ oh
~
~ Thanks for the explanation.
~
~ DT

The specific command to set your default route in a non-routing
IOS device such as an AP is "ip default-gateway w.x.y.z". So
to see this, you could use:

ap#show run | include default-gateway
ip default-gateway 192.168.5.1

If you don't have a default-gateway defined, then the device will
rely on proxy-arp.

Aaron