Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > analog pbx extender

analog pbx extender

Henry Cabot Henhouse III

Hi ...

I asked about a year ago, and at that time, the fxo/fxs boxes I looked at
required all sorts of dial plans etc., not exactly the out of the box
plug-n-play solution I was hoping for.

I'd like to extend 2 analog pbx lines off site. We have multiple managed
bonded T's at the main site, and at the remotes a basic Verizon dsl at one
and a Comcast (or is it Time Warner this year?) business HSI at the other.
When someone calls the extension, the off prem analog line should ring. When
I go off hook, I should get pbx dial tone.

Of course, I can't invest thousands, so I am looking for the most cost
effective solution I can find.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

ldemsp@freemail.hu

On Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:10:40 -0800, "Henry Cabot Henhouse III"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to extend 2 analog pbx lines off site. We have multiple managed
>bonded T's at the main site, and at the remotes a basic Verizon dsl at one
>and a Comcast (or is it Time Warner this year?) business HSI at the other.
>When someone calls the extension, the off prem analog line should ring. When
>I go off hook, I should get pbx dial tone.

2 pair of Linksys SPA3102 will do. One for FXS and one for FXO gateway
role. If you can do the setup, it costs less than 400 USD.

However, as at least one of them gets dynamic IP address, you need a
public fixed IP VoIP switch to maintain the actual IP address. This
kind of service is available free of charge, eg at
http://www.voxalot.com

If you have firewall at the central site, it should be configured to
pass the UDP calls to the 2 SPAs (eg. 5060 and 5061 UDP port,
respectively, plus a range for the voice channels). The SPAs should be
configured accordingly.