Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Wireless (clamshell) VoIP phone: D-link DPH-540/DPH-541, or something else?

Wireless (clamshell) VoIP phone: D-link DPH-540/DPH-541, or something else?

Evert

Hi all!

I'm interested in obtaining a wireless (preferably clamshell) VoIP
phone. Is the D-link DPH-540/DPH-541 the way to go, or are there other
models which are better and/or give more value for money?

Regards,
Evert

NB. With VoIP I mean SIP protocol, not Skype...

Debbie Croft

I've got one of these phones and I've been far from impressed. I still make
regular use of my softphone. First problem is that the battery life is
dreadful. You'll be lucky to get a day out of it (normal use) without a
recharge. To make it usable you need to plug it in every time you get a
chance.

I also have connection problems all the time - even with my own wireless AP.
Maybe this is a general problem with all WiFi phones, or just with the DPH -
I've no experience with other models. I tried getting it to work with port
forwarding on my router, but this didn't work. So, I use a STUN server. Now,
many this is the weak link - who knows - but whatever the reason the utility
of the kit is low. When the WiFi phone can't make a call, I just boot up the
softphone and make the call - so it's never the VoIP provider - it's either
the phone or the STUN server.

In addition, I don't think I've every managed to make a call via a public
WiFi AP - even though my laptop can connect with no problems.

So, I'd pretty much look for another model, or wait until the technology
improves in general.

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...