Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > Best Cisco Router for VOIP

Best Cisco Router for VOIP

Bart Fisher

I have a 1605 now, but it seems to bottleneck a bit during VOIP - I'd
like to find something on Ebay that would work for SMB install and
allow optimized VOIP services

What would you suggest?

Bart

stephen

"Bart Fisher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a 1605 now, but it seems to bottleneck a bit during VOIP - I'd
> like to find something on Ebay that would work for SMB install and
> allow optimized VOIP services

1. depends on how many voice lines, types etc.

basic voice on a small cisco has a 2 port FXS, E+M or FXO daughtcard -
either on the router itself for some models, or for a carrier module that
has DSPs to do voice processing.

there are several country varients for the earlier versions. - so lots of
choices...

(as well as ISDN BRI and various PRI interfaces - be careful you get voice
rather than packet based interface flavours for ISDN).

you can get some idea of the model numbers here:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...termodxref.pdf
bigger router slots etc:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...icedensity.pdf

2. ask in the comp.dcom.sys.cisco group.

> What would you suggest?

you might find a 1750 / 1760 - but be aware that the DSPs, feature in IOS
and a 2 port analog interface may be worth more than the router.....

26xx / 37xx / 37xx would need a network module and voice cards in that AFAIR

FWIW you are supposed to get a new licence for a 2nd hand cisco for the IOS.

it may well be cheaper to keep the router and get an ATA (analog telephone
adaptor) - the popular ones get mentioned here frequently.

--
Regards