Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

marksimms

Just wanted to gather some suggestions for "gotchas" that I may
encounter in installing and configuring the following integrated
network for a 5 person small office:
Single broadband gateway; 1500 kbps DSL
CAT-5 wiring - Fast ethernet; 2 outlets for each desk
DLink DVG-1402S VOIP router http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=359
Dlink DES-3226L Managed Switch
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=298
DLink DVX-1000 PBX-in-a-box, 5 user license
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=450
(4) DLink DPH-140S VOIP Phones
http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=407
(2) MS Win/XP Workstations, (2) network-enabled printers - peer-to-peer
configuration
PPPoE connection initially (later, static IP address)
NAT support for workstations
DHCP for address management
Lingo VOIP service provider; no PSTN lines except for faxing

I know that DLink has been panned on this forum, but I'd like feedback
on my configuration rather than the individual components selected so
far.
Thanks for any and all suggestions !

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Just wanted to gather some suggestions for "gotchas" that I may
> encounter in installing and configuring the following integrated
> network for a 5 person small office:
> Single broadband gateway; 1500 kbps DSL

What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).

Jonathan

marksimms

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).
>
> Jonathan

ADSL - 1500 down, 128 up (I know, I know....this could be a problem).

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> >
> > What are the upload and download rates? (I am assuming ADSL, not SDSL).
> >
> > Jonathan

> ADSL - 1500 down, 128 up (I know, I know....this could be a problem).

I would not try your scenario on this speed of line. Your users will
(probably) get poor quality and blame voip. Can you get a higher grade of
service in this location?

Jonathan

Jonathan Roberts

Mark,

Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
their product sheet.

Jonathan

marksimms

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
> their product sheet.
>
> Jonathan

Sorry, I was away all weekend...
I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
difference does it make ?
Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
on an ethernet broadband connection. Yes, that means the terrible DSL
provisioning by Verizon makes SOHO PBX's almost impossible. I've
discovered that Comcast's broadband service will go up to 384 kbps
uplink speed, but because it is a non-dedicated line, DLink does not
recommend it.
Bottomline: appears SOHO VOIP-PBX is a marginal proposition until
fiber-optic networks become more commonplace.

Enzo Michelangeli

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that on
>> their product sheet.
>>
>> Jonathan

> Sorry, I was away all weekend...
> I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
> difference does it make ?
> Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
> on an ethernet broadband connection.

That depends on the codec you use (hence Jonathan's question). You may find
a handy bandwidth calculator at
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tools/ba...calculator.php .

Of course, apart from the PBX one must make sure that the chosen codec be
supported also by the phone or ATA, and by the PSTN termination provider.

Enzo

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > Do you know what codecs this Dlink PBX supports? I couldn't find that

on
> > their product sheet.
> >
> > Jonathan

> Sorry, I was away all weekend...
> I am not sure I understand why the codecs support is important. What
> difference does it make ?
> Also, I've been told that 64 to 100 kbps per call should be the drain
> on an ethernet broadband connection. Yes, that means the terrible DSL
> provisioning by Verizon makes SOHO PBX's almost impossible. I've
> discovered that Comcast's broadband service will go up to 384 kbps
> uplink speed, but because it is a non-dedicated line, DLink does not
> recommend it.
> Bottomline: appears SOHO VOIP-PBX is a marginal proposition until
> fiber-optic networks become more commonplace.

Hey Mark,

As Enzo pointed out, the codec used will dictate how much bandwidth each
call takes. That was the reason for my question.

Jonathan

marksimms

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> As Enzo pointed out, the codec used will dictate how much bandwidth each
> call takes. That was the reason for my question.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks guys..believe it or not, there is absolutely NO MENTION of codec
support in either the technical documentation of the DVX-1000 or
anywhere on the entire DLink.com website. I have a call into their tech
support so I will ask that question.
Another issue I have: If a VoSP supports SIP, does that make the
authentication for the service a standard method ? I keep wondering if
VOIP routers are required or have the latest batch of Linksys and DLink
routers been enhanced to support any and all VoSP's ? I know at one
point Lingo actually forced users to purchase THEIR DLink DVG-1402S
VOIP router because they burnt-in proprietary firmware. So the whole
issue of connection and authentication has me confused.

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Another issue I have: If a VoSP supports SIP, does that make the
> authentication for the service a standard method ? I keep wondering if
> VOIP routers are required or have the latest batch of Linksys and DLink
> routers been enhanced to support any and all VoSP's ? I know at one
> point Lingo actually forced users to purchase THEIR DLink DVG-1402S
> VOIP router because they burnt-in proprietary firmware. So the whole
> issue of connection and authentication has me confused.

I think what you're asking depends on the SIP provider and if they 'lock'
you to a device (check the useragent string in the SIP packets) and if they
provide you their credentials. Basically, if they give you the info
(username, password, server URL and possibly a few more bits) and do not
require you use their device/program/website, you should be ok. Please let
me know if I mis-read your question.

Jonathan