Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

VOIP PBX integrated into Microsoft ethernet wired network

marksimms

Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> I think what you're asking depends on the SIP provider and if they 'lock'
> you to a device (check the useragent string in the SIP packets) and if they
> provide you their credentials. Basically, if they give you the info
> (username, password, server URL and possibly a few more bits) and do not
> require you use their device/program/website, you should be ok. Please let
> me know if I mis-read your question.
>
> Jonathan

That's exactly what I discovered. It's best to get a recommendation
from the hardware vendors as well....and DLink gave me Lingo and
Broadvoice as reliable providers...and one's that can be authenticated
with their DVX-1000 which I discovered has a built-in VOIP router. I
also discovered that I must get certified to be able to install their
VOIP PBX and it's probably a good thing because their current docs are
so "lame"....they don't even tell you how to change the WAV file for
the "music on hold" feature.
This whole investigation has been intriguing and what I discovered is
that Verizon is killing the SOHO VOIP PBX market in their ADSL
offering...as the uplink speed is too slow to be useable at all.
However, interestingly, Comcast's broadband service can provide up to
768kbps bandwidth....and that would mean at least 7 concurrent
calls...in theory. However, because Comcast deploys a "shared" network,
the actual bandwidth could be about 50% ofthe theoretical. DLink tech
support was not too keen at all about considering a cable broadband
connection for VOIP PBX ! However, NO ALTERNATIVES exist in many areas
as SDSL is very selective, and T1 lines are still at $469/mo at the
best price (Covad Networks).

marksimms

Regarding the codec support....in talking with DLink tech support (and
I figured this out ahead of time), the type of codec is ENTIRELY
IRRELEVANT if you match the vendor's PBX and their VOIP phones. Codec
support only becomes an issue when mixing and matching from multiple
vendors. However, I do agree, some codecs are more efficient than
others and this is an issue for further investigation.

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> That's exactly what I discovered. It's best to get a recommendation
> from the hardware vendors as well....and DLink gave me Lingo and
> Broadvoice as reliable providers...and one's that can be authenticated
> with their DVX-1000 which I discovered has a built-in VOIP router. I
> also discovered that I must get certified to be able to install their
> VOIP PBX and it's probably a good thing because their current docs are
> so "lame"....they don't even tell you how to change the WAV file for
> the "music on hold" feature.
> This whole investigation has been intriguing and what I discovered is
> that Verizon is killing the SOHO VOIP PBX market in their ADSL
> offering...as the uplink speed is too slow to be useable at all.
> However, interestingly, Comcast's broadband service can provide up to
> 768kbps bandwidth....and that would mean at least 7 concurrent
> calls...in theory. However, because Comcast deploys a "shared" network,
> the actual bandwidth could be about 50% ofthe theoretical. DLink tech
> support was not too keen at all about considering a cable broadband
> connection for VOIP PBX ! However, NO ALTERNATIVES exist in many areas
> as SDSL is very selective, and T1 lines are still at $469/mo at the
> best price (Covad Networks).

Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)

Jonathan

marksimms

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
> certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
> already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)
>
> Jonathan

No I have not...the client backed-down from the project when the
bandwidth issue became a sticking point. He wanted GUARANTEED clarity
and reliability with his VOIP PBX. That was impossible without T1.
I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....
http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/produ...roupCode=I3185
Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it. Also, when you purchase
the box and the cards, the price is not much better than the DVX-1000.

Enzo Michelangeli

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
[...]
> I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....
> http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/produ...roupCode=I3185
> Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
> makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it.

KDE is not bad, but why do you want a resources-hungry GUI for a server
application that just requires editing a few ASCII files (basically two) to
be configured? Anyway, there are a few web-based frontends or even
integrated distributions (such as www.trixbox.org ) that make the GUI issue
essentially moot.

Enzo

marksimms

Enzo Michelangeli wrote:
> KDE is not bad, but why do you want a resources-hungry GUI for a server
> application that just requires editing a few ASCII files (basically two) to
> be configured? Anyway, there are a few web-based frontends or even
> integrated distributions (such as www.trixbox.org ) that make the GUI issue
> essentially moot.
>
> Enzo

Fair enough...an AMD Athlon 64 box can't cost more than $600 "all-in"
right ?
So what hardware cards, other than an ethernet card (if not on the MB),
would one need to make this box a PBX ?
Are there any that cards that act like a PSTN bridge ?
We'd be considering 5-10 concurrent calls max.

Jonathan Roberts

"marksimms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> > Interesting, all of it. Have you determined what it takes to become
> > certified on their platform? (Also, have you bought all of this stuff
> > already. If not, have you considered Asterisk?)
> >
> > Jonathan

> No I have not...the client backed-down from the project when the
> bandwidth issue became a sticking point. He wanted GUARANTEED clarity
> and reliability with his VOIP PBX. That was impossible without T1.
> I see someone wrote a book about Asterisk....

http://www.soho-voip-phone.com/produ...roupCode=I3185
> Hmmm....only problem is that it's Linux-only....yuck. When someone
> makes a good Linux GUI, then I'll consider it. Also, when you purchase
> the box and the cards, the price is not much better than the DVX-1000.

You might look into Trixbox (www.trixbox.org) or Fonality
(www.fonality.com).

Jonathan