Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > [A-Link IPU1 USB Phone] Working with X-Lite or X-Ten?

[A-Link IPU1 USB Phone] Working with X-Lite or X-Ten?

Vincent Delporte

Hello

I just bought this USB VoIP phone
(http://www.a-link.com/avaks/images/items/upi1a.jpg), but I'm stuck at
how to actually use it (Windows2003 Server). Support is nothing more
than can be found at http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm :

1. Plugged the phone into a USB port: Windows detects and installs a
"USB audio peripheral"
2. Launched X-Lite 3.0 (Build 30942) that I already had installed.
X-Lite registers with an Axon PBX sofware (free PBX for Windows).
3. Launched the X-TenMate (1.0.0.1 applet provided by ALink that
seems to be a middle-man between the USB phone and a VoIP application.
The phone changes from "VOIP-PHONE" to day + time + year.

But... the X-TenMate icon in the task bar changes from green to gray
and says ": "Can't find Software Phone", and I can't dial an extension
or receive a call. Does anyone know how to get this thingie to work?

Thank you!

Vincent Delporte

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:33:08 +0200, Vincent Delporte <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>But... the X-TenMate icon in the task bar changes from green to gray
>and says ": "Can't find Software Phone", and I can't dial an extension
>or receive a call. Does anyone know how to get this thingie to work?

Made some progress: Those *Mate utities are required for USB phones.
The one provided by A-Link is out of date. An updated can be found at
http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp which...

- will sort of work with X-Lite 3: I can receive a call, but not call
an extension, as it sends crappy numbers to the application :

http://codecomplete.free.fr/a-link_crap_numbers.jpg

Tried on another, more recent computer, same issue.

- won't work with EyeBeam 1.5.5.1: "Can't find software". Looks like
it won't work with EB 1.5 and above.

Anybody has a more recent version of X-TenMate or a work-around for
the crap characters issue?

Thufir

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 17:33:08 +0200, Vincent Delporte wrote:

> Hello
>
> I just bought this USB VoIP phone
> (http://www.a-link.com/avaks/images/items/upi1a.jpg), but I'm stuck at
> how to actually use it (Windows2003 Server). Support is nothing more
> than can be found at http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm :

[...]

Looking at <http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm> I see that the
device, apparently, works with linux!? You're running forte, and, hence,
windows? Have you tried it with linux?

-Thufir

Vincent Delporte

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 20:53:30 GMT, Thufir <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Looking at <http://support.a-link.com/phonemate/IPU1.htm> I see that the
>device, apparently, works with linux!? You're running forte, and, hence,
>windows? Have you tried it with linux?

I don't use Linux on the client host, and I would be very surprized if
a cheap USB phone like that would have a driver for Linux. It's
basically a remote phone card that requires an applet to work with an
SIP application. Nothing like a real SIP phone.

Thufir

From: "Tero Nordman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
To: <(E-Mail Removed)>
Subject: VL: Thank you for your order #99501761!
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 08:36:10 +0200

Dear Sir,

IPU1 and IPU2 can operate in Linux with any SIP software. You can make
calls with any SIP software in Linux, but IPU1 or IPU2 keybad do not =
work.
Only Skype for Linux have Skypemate software to enable keybad for
linux/Skype use.

Best Regards:

Tero Nordman
A-Link Europe Ltd
Web: http://www.a-link.com'

Now, I think I'm also seeing the same "phone" at:

<http://pclee.idv.tw/peter/product_info.php?cPath=1_41&products_id=103&osCsid =f45628e3d6c648dd5364418e8abaf960>
<http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>

But it's hard to know who the OEM is.

-Thufir

Vincent Delporte

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:55:23 GMT, Thufir <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>It's rather odd. A-link wrote to me:

But that, they probably meant that, in the absolute, since that phone
is a USB phonecard, you can develop a driver that will be the
interface between the phone and any SIP application running on the
computer.

If you go to their site, you won't find anything for platforms other
than Windows. And even then, they only provide the applet for three
SIP clients (X-Lite which is buggy as of now, SJPhone, Skype).

Care to develop that application for Linux?

><http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>
>
>But it's hard to know who the OEM is.

As far as I can tell, Yealink = A-Link.

Thufir

Vincent Delporte wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:55:23 GMT, Thufir <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> >It's rather odd. A-link wrote to me:

> But that, they probably meant that, in the absolute, since that phone
> is a USB phonecard, you can develop a driver that will be the
> interface between the phone and any SIP application running on the
> computer.

[...]
> ><http://www.yealink.com/english/prodetail_p1k.htm>

[...]

No, I don't have the skills. But I'm curious as to why all this wasn't
developed in Java. Or, wouldn't that have made a difference because it
relates to hardware?

-Thufir

Vincent Delporte

On 7 Nov 2006 14:28:14 -0800, "Thufir" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>No, I don't have the skills. But I'm curious as to why all this wasn't
>developed in Java. Or, wouldn't that have made a difference because it
>relates to hardware?

Java is crap Fat, slow, and besides, 95% of users have Windows, so
it doesn't make economic sense.

Besides, USB phones are marketed as a cheaper alternative to real IP
phones like those from GrandStream or Cisco, so you can't really
expect the same quality.

The A-Link is OK, but I'll buy hardphones instead.

Thufir

Vincent Delporte wrote:
[...]
> Java is crap Fat, slow, and besides, 95% of users have Windows, so
> it doesn't make economic sense.

Yeah, but it's cross platform. Anyhoo...

> Besides, USB phones are marketed as a cheaper alternative to real IP
> phones like those from GrandStream or Cisco, so you can't really
> expect the same quality.
>
> The A-Link is OK, but I'll buy hardphones instead.

Absolutely. I was going to get the grandstream, but I'm behind a
firewall and router and am not the system admin. So, skype looks good
as it's a known factor.

In fact, I just got off the phone (or is it the "skype device"?) with
?Peter?, who's in Taiwan. First time I've spoken with anyone in Taiwan

For the record, his contact info is at:
<http://wincpu.googlepages.com/>.

He's going to send me a pay-pal invoice, I'll see what sort of price he
gives. The bonus to this phone is that I can at least play around with
SIP, although I'll probably need IAX. The people who hack the nslu-2
"slug", and put asterisk on it, mention this phone. Although I don't
see how it can do anything useful with asterisk, I'll get a chance to
find out

-Thufir

Halle93659

How many people actually read these forums