Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Catch all errors at once with Validation (XMLSpy or other software)

Catch all errors at once with Validation (XMLSpy or other software)

quanghoc@gmail.com

Hi all,
I used XMLSpy to validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
Is there anyway to make XMLSpy to catch all errors at once. If XMLSpy
does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
have a very large document with many related files and validating one
by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
coming back to validate again. Thanks.

spiff

On 20 Feb., 03:02, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I want to see all errors and fix it all before coming back to validate again. Thanks.

You could try ValidatorBuddy from http://www.spycomponents.com which
supports the Xerces validator (also Saxon if installed) and those
would show you all errors at once.

Regards

Peter Flynn

> Hi all,
> I used XMLSpy to validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
> Is there anyway to make XMLSpy to catch all errors at once. If XMLSpy
> does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
> have a very large document with many related files and validating one
> by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
> coming back to validate again. Thanks.

Many validators do this but if the file is very badly formed, some
errors may make later mistakes so badly broken that it will have to give
up, so most of them have a (resettable) limit -- eg onsgmls stops after
200 errors by default.

///Peter

jamesdrak@gmail.com

Liquid Technolgoies have a couple of free validators that can validate
XSD schemas, and validate XML documents against there XSD.
See http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Tools/FreeTools.aspx

Also have a look at there Graphical XSD editor (also FREE), we've been
using it for quite a while now, and its pretty much on a par with
XmlSpy, and blows Stylus studio out the water.
http://www.liquid-technologies.com/LiquidXMLStudio.aspx

On 21 Feb, 00:22, Peter Flynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I used XMLSpy to validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
> > Is there anyway to make XMLSpy to catch all errors at once. If XMLSpy
> > does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
> > have a very large document with many related files and validating one
> > by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
> > coming back to validate again. Thanks.

> Many validators do this but if the file is very badly formed, some
> errors may make later mistakes so badly broken that it will have to give
> up, so most of them have a (resettable) limit -- eg onsgmls stops after
> 200 errors by default.
>
> ///Peter

Jerry

> Hi all,
> I usedXMLSpyto validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
> Is there anyway to makeXMLSpyto catch all errors at once. IfXMLSpy
> does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
> have a very large document with many related files and validating one
> by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
> coming back to validate again. Thanks.

Hi,
Sure, XMLSpy doesn't list all the possible errors, instead if there
are any errors, it list the first one it encounters and ask you to
make any corrections before proceeding to the next error if there are
any. Ideally, I find this approach much better instead of trying to
fix all the errors reported or pick which ones to fix first. In the
meantime, we currently do have this feature logged as a feature
request. Thank you

http://www.altova.com

Tony Lavinio

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Also have a look at there Graphical XSD editor (also FREE), we've been
> using it for quite a while now, and its pretty much on a par with
> XmlSpy, and blows Stylus studio out the water.

Free is good, sometimes.

And if "blows Stylus Studio" out of the water means "it looks a
little prettier," we're in agreement.

But it lacks schema refactoring, schema documentation generation,
and XML instance generation, all of which both spy and Stylus
Studio provide, and it doesn't scale with documents larger than
a few hundred K.

Empirical evidence is good, lists of pros and cons is good,
lists of features supported and not supported is also good.
Subjective statements don't help others make informed decisions
though.

On the original topic, there are lots of good validators.
Xerces from the Apache project is pretty decent, and the Saxonica
validator (http://www.saxonica.com/) has excellent diagnostics.
The .net validators and XSV also have their place.

Stylus Studio includes all of the above, including Saxon's which
we license. I've found it useful to try validating with more than
one editor, since we don't always know what environment the XSD
will be used in once it is released into the wild. And different
ones have different strengths and often catch different problems.

And most don't suffer from the one-defect-and-I-stop problem.

http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_schema.html has more information
on validators, including IBM's Schema Quality Checker and Sun's
Multi-Schema Validator.

A free evaluation copy of Stylus Studio is available from
http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html which includes
all of the above-mentioned validators. Try it if only to decide
which validator you'd prefer, since it bundles them all in one
place.

--
Tony Lavinio <> DataDirect <> Stylus Studio XML <> (E-Mail Removed)
XQuery, XSLT, XML Schema and EDI Toolset <> http://www.stylusstudio.com/

Stan Kitsis [MSFT]

Visual Studio reports all errors it finds. Express version of VS is free
and can be downloaded from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies