Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > xsl landscape printing

xsl landscape printing

sheinaz@gmail.com

Hi I am tryign to use this to print my table in landscape by default.
i am new at the xsl and need some assistance. when i try to use the
following i get the error:

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error
and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
Variable or parameter 'printingtype' cannot have both a select
attribute and non-empty content.

code:

<xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'">
<xsl:variable name="pageheight">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when
test="$printingtype='landscape'">21</xsl:when>
<xsltherwise>29.7</xsltherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>
<xsl:variable name="pagewidth">
<xsl:choose>
<xsl:when
test="$printingtype='landscape'">29.7</xsl:when>
<xsltherwise>21</xsltherwise>
</xsl:choose>
</xsl:variable>

Any guidance would be appreciated.

thanks
shen

Joe Kesselman

> Variable or parameter 'printingtype' cannot have both a select
> attribute and non-empty content.
>
> <xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'">
> <xsl:variable name="pageheight">
> <xsl:choose>
> <xsl:when
> test="$printingtype='landscape'">21</xsl:when>
> <xsltherwise>29.7</xsltherwise>
> </xsl:choose>
> </xsl:variable>
> <xsl:variable name="pagewidth">
> <xsl:choose>
> <xsl:when
> test="$printingtype='landscape'">29.7</xsl:when>
> <xsltherwise>21</xsltherwise>
> </xsl:choose>
> </xsl:variable>

The message means exactly what it says. You can set the value of the
param *EITHER* by using an XPath expression in the select attribute,
*OR* by providing a contained XSLT tree that computes the value, and
since you have not terminated the xslaram before you start defining
the variables you are trying to do both.

What are you actually trying to do?

roy axenov

> <xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'">
> <xsl:variable name="pageheight">
> <xsl:choose>
> <xsl:when
> test="$printingtype='landscape'">21</xsl:when>
> <xsltherwise>29.7</xsltherwise>
> </xsl:choose>
> </xsl:variable>
> <xsl:variable name="pagewidth">
> <xsl:choose>
> <xsl:when
> test="$printingtype='landscape'">29.7</xsl:when>
> <xsltherwise>21</xsltherwise>
> </xsl:choose>
> </xsl:variable>
>
> Variable or parameter 'printingtype' cannot have both a
> select attribute and non-empty content.

The error message is about as clear as it could possibly
get. xslaram element cannot have both non-empty content
and a select attribute. Either your transformation is not
well-formed XML (in that case use / to indicate empty
content for xslaram element) or you're trying to do
something that cannot be done.

Since you seem to expect $printingtype to be already
defined in those xsl:variable elements, I'd bet you simply
forgot that slash in xslaram.

--
roy axenov

sheinaz@gmail.com

Well... I have a xsl file that i want to print, but i want my client
to be able to print it in landscape mode and not have to go set it
himself. Because this table that is being printed does not fit when
prinitng in portrait...

So i should put the </xslaram> somewhere else?
where do i terminate it? i thought i just end at the end of the xsl
file (??)

sorry about my ignorance..i'm just tryign to get this to work with a
fiel someone else made..and yet i hardly even know how xsl works...
is printing i landscape even doable??

thanks
shen

On Feb 19, 1:31 pm, Joe Kesselman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Variable or parameter 'printingtype' cannot have both a select
> > attribute and non-empty content.

> > <xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'">
> > <xsl:variable name="pageheight">
> > <xsl:choose>
> > <xsl:when
> > test="$printingtype='landscape'">21</xsl:when>
> > <xsltherwise>29.7</xsltherwise>
> > </xsl:choose>
> > </xsl:variable>
> > <xsl:variable name="pagewidth">
> > <xsl:choose>
> > <xsl:when
> > test="$printingtype='landscape'">29.7</xsl:when>
> > <xsltherwise>21</xsltherwise>
> > </xsl:choose>
> > </xsl:variable>

> The message means exactly what it says. You can set the value of the
> param *EITHER* by using an XPath expression in the select attribute,
> *OR* by providing a contained XSLT tree that computes the value, and
> since you have not terminated the xslaram before you start defining
> the variables you are trying to do both.
>
> What are you actually trying to do?

> /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry- Hide quoted text -

sheinaz@gmail.com

Where did i forget the slash?
Which one is the empty element?
does printingtype not exist??

thanks
shen

On Feb 19, 1:35 pm, "roy axenov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 8:22 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > <xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'">
> > <xsl:variable name="pageheight">
> > <xsl:choose>
> > <xsl:when
> > test="$printingtype='landscape'">21</xsl:when>
> > <xsltherwise>29.7</xsltherwise>
> > </xsl:choose>
> > </xsl:variable>
> > <xsl:variable name="pagewidth">
> > <xsl:choose>
> > <xsl:when
> > test="$printingtype='landscape'">29.7</xsl:when>
> > <xsltherwise>21</xsltherwise>
> > </xsl:choose>
> > </xsl:variable>

> > Variable or parameter 'printingtype' cannot have both a
> > select attribute and non-empty content.

> The error message is about as clear as it could possibly
> get. xslaram element cannot have both non-empty content
> and a select attribute. Either your transformation is not
> well-formed XML (in that case use / to indicate empty
> content for xslaram element) or you're trying to do
> something that cannot be done.
>
> Since you seem to expect $printingtype to be already
> defined in those xsl:variable elements, I'd bet you simply
> forgot that slash in xslaram.
>
> --
> roy axenov- Hide quoted text -

Joe Kesselman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Where did i forget the slash?

It looks like you intended

<xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'"/>

Note the /> to terminate the element. Or, equivalently,

<xslaram name="printingtype" select="'landscape'"></xslaram>

XSLT/XML elements, unlike HTML/SGML elements, *MUST* be properly terminated.

sheinaz@gmail.com

Ok perfect, so i did this and no longer get the error...but i still
can not get my page to print in landscape mode...
how woudl i do this?

i've tried everythign i know how. I even tried rotating the page 90
degrees...but then only my title rotates and the table stays the way
it is. Just to give you a better idea: the database used is access,
and an xml file and then using the xsl file we can view teh content in
the db. which is what i am tryign to print in landscape..

thanks..
shen