Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Deleting bookmarks - where do they go

Deleting bookmarks - where do they go

Kimmy

When I use IE and delete a favorite/bookmark it goes to the recycle bin. I
can restore if it I need to. When I delete a bookmark from Firefox, I don't
see it in the recycle bin. Is there a way to restore a deleted bookmark?

Unlike I.E., Firefox bookmarks are stored in a HTML file. When a bookmark
is deleted is not removed as a shorcut like I.E., rather the entire HTML
file is modified. I consider this to be a weak point in Firefox and one
that I hope will be addressed in the future.

The Firefox bookmark files are located in: c:\ documents and settings \ user
name \ application data \ mozilla \ firefox \ x.default \ bookmarks.bak and
bookmarks.html.

If you include those 2 files in your backup routine, then the bookmarks can
be restored from the backup. But not individually like I.E.

Other than that, Firefox runs circles around I.E.

-- Mike

"Kimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45e61d5e$0$16716$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I use IE and delete a favorite/bookmark it goes to the recycle bin.
> I can restore if it I need to. When I delete a bookmark from Firefox, I
> don't see it in the recycle bin. Is there a way to restore a deleted
> bookmark?

Kimmy

Thank you Mike for the reply. I would also like to see this addressed in
the future, but agree that Firefox is tons better than IE. I have no idea
why I waited so long to switch!
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Unlike I.E., Firefox bookmarks are stored in a HTML file. When a bookmark
> is deleted is not removed as a shorcut like I.E., rather the entire HTML
> file is modified. I consider this to be a weak point in Firefox and one
> that I hope will be addressed in the future.
>
> The Firefox bookmark files are located in: c:\ documents and settings \
> user name \ application data \ mozilla \ firefox \ x.default \
> bookmarks.bak and bookmarks.html.
>
> If you include those 2 files in your backup routine, then the bookmarks
> can be restored from the backup. But not individually like I.E.
>
> Other than that, Firefox runs circles around I.E.
>
> -- Mike
>

> "Kimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45e61d5e$0$16716$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When I use IE and delete a favorite/bookmark it goes to the recycle bin.
>> I can restore if it I need to. When I delete a bookmark from Firefox, I
>> don't see it in the recycle bin. Is there a way to restore a deleted
>> bookmark?

Ed Mullen

> Unlike I.E., Firefox bookmarks are stored in a HTML file. When a bookmark
> is deleted is not removed as a shorcut like I.E., rather the entire HTML
> file is modified. I consider this to be a weak point in Firefox and one
> that I hope will be addressed in the future.
>
> The Firefox bookmark files are located in: c:\ documents and settings \ user
> name \ application data \ mozilla \ firefox \ x.default \ bookmarks.bak and
> bookmarks.html.
>
> If you include those 2 files in your backup routine, then the bookmarks can
> be restored from the backup. But not individually like I.E.
>
> Other than that, Firefox runs circles around I.E.

Yes, everyone should back up their Profile. However, Firefox
automatically backs up your bookmarks file regularly. Look in your
Profile folder.

IE's Favorites function uses up a unnecessary amount of disk space by
storing every favorite/link as a file on disk.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

the little icons in the bookmarks, how do they "work" pyotr filipivich Firefox 10 05-16-2005 04:39 PM
Bookmarks have disappeared, where are they? TGS Firefox 4 03-17-2005 05:22 PM
Deleting bookmarks Eldritch Firefox 4 09-30-2004 06:05 PM
Deleting bookmarks Lawrence Firefox 2 07-27-2004 11:52 PM