Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Does IOS have something like the ip-up and ip-down script in UNIX?

Does IOS have something like the ip-up and ip-down script in UNIX?

mathias@gummert.de

Does IOS support something like the ip-up and ip-down script of the
UNIX PPP protocol?

I have two dialup links on a Cisco router and I would like to delete
the routes on the first interface once the second one is up.

Floating statics donīt work because I need both links to dial at the
same time (which they donīt when they have different administrative
distances) - so both have to have the same administrative distance.

So an ip-up script would be great which would delete Serial0īs route
once Serial1 came up so that all the traffic goes over Serial1.

Thankīs for any hint!

Mathias...

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have two dialup links on a Cisco router and I would like to delete
:the routes on the first interface once the second one is up.

:Floating statics don't work because I need both links to dial at the
:same time (which they don't when they have different administrative
:distances) - so both have to have the same administrative distance.

:So an ip-up script would be great which would delete Serial0's route
nce Serial1 came up so that all the traffic goes over Serial1.

I am not sure if I have the situation right:

You want both links to dial at the same time, perhaps to reduce the
downtime -- but if Serial1 is able to make a connection, then you
want it to be used in preference to Serial0 ?

If so, then I think you just -might- be able to do it with a
combination of "dialer watch" and having routes with different
distances imported in from the remote end, and having the Serial0
interface not be shut down suddenly but rather allowed to expire due
to lack of traffic. But this is getting into obtruse configurations.

I suggest you examine the white papers at Vincent C. Jones'
site, http://www.networkingunlimited.com/ and consider buying
his book, "High Availability Networking with Cisco". And you need
some equipment to practice with -- he makes the configurations look
simple, but it's about like studying for an exam in physics:
simple looking solutions that you have to study and study and study
to really understand -how- they work.
--
"Who Leads?" / "The men who must... driven men, compelled men."
"Freak men."

mathias@gummert.de

Walter Roberson schrieb:
> I am not sure if I have the situation right:
>
> You want both links to dial at the same time, perhaps to reduce the
> downtime -- but if Serial1 is able to make a connection, then you
> want it to be used in preference to Serial0 ?

Thatīs what I want to achieve!

> ...having routes with different
> distances imported in from the remote end,

How would that be done?