Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Bonding two T1s

Bonding two T1s

jhud@osceola.org

Hi folks,

We have a situation where we need to bond two T1s to achieve and
aggregate of 3meg. The routeres are a 3725 and a 1721. Both have
available serial ports for the operation.

I've been looking for an example configuration to help me get it set
up. So far I've found a couple but I don't really understand how it
works. The examples I've seen seem to indicate that the bonded link
won't have IP addresses over the WAN link. Is that correct?

If someone could post a config with some details I'd really appreciate
it.

Thanks.

Jim

Phil Watkins

PPP multilink

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi folks,
>
> We have a situation where we need to bond two T1s to achieve and
> aggregate of 3meg. The routeres are a 3725 and a 1721. Both have
> available serial ports for the operation.
>
> I've been looking for an example configuration to help me get it set
> up. So far I've found a couple but I don't really understand how it
> works. The examples I've seen seem to indicate that the bonded link
> won't have IP addresses over the WAN link. Is that correct?
>
> If someone could post a config with some details I'd really appreciate
> it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim

jhud@osceola.org

Right, I got that part. What I'm trying to figure out is how the
configuration should be done. Cisco's site shows a couple of
configurations, but they don't comment them enough for me to be able to
determine whether or not they're what I need.

Phil Watkins

hmmm, I've forgotten how to do it. I'll have a go now and see if I can
get it working, if I do I'll post my config.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Right, I got that part. What I'm trying to figure out is how the
> configuration should be done. Cisco's site shows a couple of
> configurations, but they don't comment them enough for me to be able to
> determine whether or not they're what I need.

jhud@osceola.org

Thanks Phil, I appreciate it.

Jim

Phil Watkins

hmmm

http://www.summa4.com/warp/public/79...pp_serial.html

I'm buggered if I understand it though and haven't got it to work yet.

I see what you mean about no IP address. The example seems to be using
briding, not quite sure if that's the only way it can be done. I don't
think so really.

jhud@osceola.org

I don't have too much of a problem with it bridging I suppose. I'm
more interested in throughput. We have three remote servers there and
full BUs have become a W/E long nightmare.

That link is a better example than I'd found so far.

One odd thing on the example. Notice that there's a ppp multi
statement on the "shutdown" isdn int? Seems unnecessary.

Phil Watkins

i know this is a cop-out, but why did you decided to load balance this way
rather than through the routing protocol?

jhud@osceola.org

We don't want to load balance, but rather bond them for an improved
aggregate throughput. As we understand it (and we may be nuts) bonding
the Ts in this manner will not load balance them but logically combine
them as a single pipe.

rfield@hepn.com

I have found that multilink PPP does load ballance better than a
routing protocol will, up to about 3 T1's. Maybe I'm an idiot though.

Here's my config (using VWIC-2MFT-T1 card)

interface Multilink1
ip address 192.168.250.a 255.255.255.252
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/0:0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial0/1:0
no ip address
encapsulation ppp
ppp multilink
ppp multilink group 1

of course with this card you have to configure the controller...

controller T1 0/0
framing esf
crc-threshold 320
clock source internal
linecode b8zs
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64
!
controller T1 0/1
framing esf
crc-threshold 320
clock source internal
linecode b8zs
channel-group 0 timeslots 1-24 speed 64

The physical layer config may vary depending on your hardware
(WIC-1DSU-T1, WIC-1T, etc.).

Two independent T1s on a 2610? Chris Cisco 3 06-13-2006 11:53 PM
Multilink with two T1s -- need sample config Bob Wilson Cisco 8 08-03-2004 06:46 PM
Bonding SHDSL lines Lars L. Christensen Cisco 0 07-20-2004 08:08 AM
two T1s al Cisco 2 10-25-2003 04:14 AM
Question on bonding 2 T1s with an Adtran TSU120e Steve Pfister Cisco 1 09-05-2003 03:20 PM

Advertisments