Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML text only browser?

XML text only browser?

Ottavio Caruso

Peter Flynn wrote:
>Gherty Pavilion wrote:
>> Anywhere know where I can find a text only browser, that can display an
>> XML file like any other web page? I need one when I telnet.

>Perhaps Emacs w3-mode can do this. I haven't used it for a long time,
>but Bill Perry was one of the Few with a Clue when people started
>writing browsers, and maybe he's added XML to it...

Four years on, any improvements? In particular, any browsers that
display xhtml in native mode, not just faking the MIME type.
Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command
line as a filter?

Thank you

Ottavio Caruso
http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista

Peter Flynn

Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>> Gherty Pavilion wrote:
>>> Anywhere know where I can find a text only browser, that can display an
>>> XML file like any other web page? I need one when I telnet.

>> Perhaps Emacs w3-mode can do this. I haven't used it for a long time,
>> but Bill Perry was one of the Few with a Clue when people started
>> writing browsers, and maybe he's added XML to it...

> Four years on, any improvements? In particular, any browsers that
> display xhtml in native mode,

What would that imply?

> not just faking the MIME type.
> Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command
> line as a filter?

I'm not clear what you want to do with XML files. If you're telnetted
into some remote host, do you just want to open XML files you find
there, or do you want them formatted in some way.

The easiest answer is just to open the files with Emacs using
psgml-mode. You'll see all the markup, but with suitable syntactic
colorisation in your .emacs file you can make it pale into the
background so that the text content is clearer. It's an editor, so
it won't format the text in any way.

If you want it formatted, you'll have to specify *what* you want
formatted, and how. XML doesn't have any implied formatting semantics
like HTML does, so there is no such thing as "default formatting" --
which is why I was querying your use of the term "native mode" above:
XHTML inherits HTML's implied formatting, but I don't know of a console
program that will treat XHTML as a formattable filetype...unless Lynx or
Emacs with w3-mode does it (did you try?)

///Peter

Ottavio Caruso

Peter Flynn wrote:

> What would that imply?
>
> > not just faking the MIME type.
> > Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command
> > line as a filter?

> I'm not clear what you want to do with XML files. If you're telnetted
> into some remote host, do you just want to open XML files you find
> there, or do you want them formatted in some way.

Peter,

what I'm looking for is a web browser with a XML parser in ncurses. I
hope this makes it clear.

Ottavio

Peter Flynn

Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
>
>> What would that imply?
>>
>>> not just faking the MIME type.
>>> Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command
>>> line as a filter?

>> I'm not clear what you want to do with XML files. If you're telnetted
>> into some remote host, do you just want to open XML files you find
>> there, or do you want them formatted in some way.
>>

> Peter,
>
> what I'm looking for is a web browser with a XML parser in ncurses. I
> hope this makes it clear.

Not really...I'm not clear what good this will do. Just parsing an XML
file doesn't achieve anything unless the parser has some other software
it can hand the resulting parse-tree to (like a formatter, for example).

If you want to see XML formatted, the *provider* of the XML has to
supply a stylesheet (CSS or XSLT) *and* your browser has to be able to
render the formatting, which means both an XML parser and a stylesheet
engine.

I'm not aware of any console program which does this. Lynx would be the
obvious one, but AFAIK they don't have any interest in doing this.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/