Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > regular expression

regular expression

Asper Faner

I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

Paddy

Asper Faner wrote:
> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

If you try to eliminate what you don't understand you won't learn
anything!

I suggest that you put the learning of regexps aside for a while and
come back to it 'later'.

Erwin Moller

Asper Faner wrote:

> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

I am sure you'll get an answer in one of zillion groups you posted this
stupid question to...

Regards,
Erwin

Kleine Aap

Asper Faner wrote:

> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
hands...

Roman

Asper Faner wrote:
> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

It has very much to do with computer programming. There is program flow,
conditions, loops, variables.

Roman

aejw.com

Also regular expressions are (pretty much) universal accross a ton of
languages... even search engines now provide some support for regular
expressions... I know its a bit of a headache, but keep trying to learn it
mate. Once you have it wrapped you will never look back.

Adam - http://www.aejw.com/?page=contact

"Roman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:22Gih.18093$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Asper Faner wrote:
>> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
>> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
>> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
>> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?
>>

> It has very much to do with computer programming. There is program flow,
> conditions, loops, variables.
>
> Roman

Joe Kesselman

Reminder: anything crossposted across this many newsgroups, especially
asking an inherently bogus question, is probably just trolling.

If it's equally on topic everywhere, that means it's on topic nowhere.

Dustan

Kleine Aap wrote:
> Asper Faner wrote:
>
> > I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
> > works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
> > computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
> > enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

> I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
> expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
> suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
> hands...

Your humble opinion doesn't get much ruder...

Perhaps you meant "anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of
regular expressions after some experience with programming should not
attempt to write computer programs at all!" Then at least newbies would
have a leg to stand on.

Otherwise, you're practically cutting off all entrances into the world
of programming! The concept of regular expressions isn't exactly the
simplest one out there. Just because you understood it immediately
(which I'm guessing you did, considering your harsh response), doesn't
mean others find the concept that simple.

Stef Mientki

Dustan wrote:
> Kleine Aap wrote:
>> Asper Faner wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to always have hard time understaing how this regular expression
>>> works, especially how on earth do people bring it up as part of
>>> computer programming language. Natural language processing seems not
>>> enough to explain by the way. Why no eliminate it ?

>> I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
>> expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
>> suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
>> hands...

> Your humble opinion doesn't get much ruder...
>
> Perhaps you meant "anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of
> regular expressions after some experience with programming should not
> attempt to write computer programs at all!" Then at least newbies would
> have a leg to stand on.
>
> Otherwise, you're practically cutting off all entrances into the world
> of programming! The concept of regular expressions isn't exactly the
> simplest one out there. Just because you understood it immediately
> (which I'm guessing you did, considering your harsh response), doesn't
> mean others find the concept that simple.

I agree, and in addition:

(large) regular expressions are easy to write,
but can be almost impossible to read back !

I once had a program to generate and evaluate regular expressions,
but can't find it anymore

If someone has links to regex generators/evaluators,
I'ld be much obliged.

cheers.
Stef Mientki

Rad [Visual C# MVP]

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:36:31 +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:

> Dustan wrote:
>> Kleine Aap wrote:

>>> I.M.H.O. anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of regular
>>> expressions should not attempt to write computer programs at all! My
>>> suggestion to you would be to find a job that involves working with your
>>> hands...

>> Your humble opinion doesn't get much ruder...
>>
>> Perhaps you meant "anyone that is not capable to grasp the concept of
>> regular expressions after some experience with programming should not
>> attempt to write computer programs at all!" Then at least newbies would
>> have a leg to stand on.
>>
>> Otherwise, you're practically cutting off all entrances into the world
>> of programming! The concept of regular expressions isn't exactly the
>> simplest one out there. Just because you understood it immediately
>> (which I'm guessing you did, considering your harsh response), doesn't
>> mean others find the concept that simple.
>>

> I agree, and in addition:
>
> (large) regular expressions are easy to write,
> but can be almost impossible to read back !
>
> I once had a program to generate and evaluate regular expressions,
> but can't find it anymore
>
> If someone has links to regex generators/evaluators,
> I'ld be much obliged.
>
> cheers.
> Stef Mientki

A good tool to write, test and analyse regexes is the Regulator, available
here http://sourceforge.net/projects/regulator/

A good reference site is http://www.regular-expressions.info/, with
tutorials, examples and tools
--