Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Combine XHTML + Custom Tag Set

Combine XHTML + Custom Tag Set

KW

I have a challenge and would appreciate any suggested approaches. I
want to be able to let a group of end users create something like the
following...

<custom:CustomTag attribute="Something" />
<custom:AnotherCustomTag>Some content here</custom:AnotherCustomTag>
Cool

Anyway, I want to allow my staff to combine XHTML tags with a set of
custom tags we will have defined. The resulting markup will be parsed
by our application and the custom tags would be replaced with valid
XHTML based on the tag and attributes. The idea is that we are trying
to allow our staff to be able to design layouts easily in XHTML and mix
in these special tags that mean things to our system.

Is there a way to define a schema that would allow for this approach?
Or, is there a better approach to implementing something like this? I
will need to be able to work with fragments like this, not whole xml
documents.

I appreciate any help on this!

Kevin

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* KW wrote in comp.text.xml:
>Is there a way to define a schema that would allow for this approach?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/ is a proposed official method
to do this. In almost all cases you will be better off simply writing it
all by yourself.
--
Björn Höhrmann · (E-Mail Removed) · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de

Andy Dingley

KW wrote:

> want to be able to let a group of end users create something like the
> following...

> <custom:CustomTag attribute="Something" />
> <custom:AnotherCustomTag>Some content here</custom:AnotherCustomTag>
> Cool

IMHO, the favourites are these:

* XML Namespacing

* <div> and <span> with identifiable class attributes.

* XHTML Modularisation

Remember that XML features have to be stripped out before publishing to
the web, but they're great within a CMS. The full XHTML modularisation
palaver is too complicated (compared to just namesapcing) and still
isn't usefully publishable to the world at large.