Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Docbook toolchain - PDF creation failed

Docbook toolchain - PDF creation failed

weberjn@gmail.com

Hi,

I started to write a document with docbook xml.

The chain XXE-> xsltproc -> HTML works fine, even with separation of
document parts by xi:include. For some special things I had to edit the
docbook source with jEdit and XML plugin, but fine. I append the script
that calls xsltproc in case somebody is interested.

But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output. A work-around
that works surprisingly good is just opening the HTML in Word (2002 for
me) and printing to a PDF printer.

But, has anybody succeded in using XSLT transformation to get a PDF or
a RTF (for an XML document with xi:include and images)? I could create
the fo file, but apache fop cannot cope with the embedded images
d:\java\fop-0.92beta\fop myfile.fo -pdf myfile.pdf
(lots of errors, like
[ERROR] Unknown enumerated value for property 'relative-align':
baseline
[ERROR] Error in relative-align property value 'baseline':
org.apache.fop.fo.exp
r.PropertyException: No conversion defined)

So, for me the dookbook chain only works for creating html. But I
thought, the idea of docbook is to create output for different targets

Thanks,
Juergen

set DTDHOME=D:\java\xxe-std-3.5.0\addon\config\docbook\dtd\V4.5
set XSLHOME=/java/Docbook/docbook-xsl-1.71.1
set XSLTHOME=D:\java\Docbook

set XML_CATALOG_FILES=%DTDHOME%\catalog.xml

%XSLTHOME%\xsltproc --xinclude --output myfile.html --stringparam
use.extensions 0 --stringparam html.stylesheet html.css
%XSLHOME%/html/docbook.xsl myfile.xml

Andy Dingley

> But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output.

I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

weberjn@gmail.com

Andy Dingley wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > But I did not succeed in getting PDF or MS Word output.

> I've never had this work right under Windows, except by installing
> Cygwin (a Unix-like shell) and then using the good old reliable Apache
> FOP from there. Then it's pretty easy.

FOP is the problem. This is the part of my chain that fails.

BTW, I don't use cygwin's xsltproc, I use the native port from
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html