Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > SAX Processing Time

SAX Processing Time

Geoff

I know many factors are involved in this calculation but given a 1 meg xml
file, for example, what is a reasonable amount of time for a sax parser to
process it?

Process it means the file itself, no validation of external resources.

Thanks.

-g

Joseph Kesselman

Depends on your processor and your I/O speed and your document structure
as well as the parser. The best answer I can give you is "download a few
and try them against the kinds of document you're interested in".

Note that parsers can have a huge performance difference, so
"reasonable" and "best" may be significantly different.

Geoff

What is reasonable for you, for a 1 meg file?

-g

Juergen Kahrs

Geoff wrote:

> I know many factors are involved in this calculation but given a 1 meg xml
> file, for example, what is a reasonable amount of time for a sax parser to
> process it?

With current CPUs, about 100 milliseconds.
In 2005, someone posted numbers here about parsing speed.
He calculated in "MB parsed per second per MHz".
Use Google to find his results.

Geoff

I did find a webpage on sourceforge that had some numbers but milliseconds
seems fast.

I have a 700K file sent to me, xerces took about 2 seconds and xmllint took
5 seconds (no validation) but I never see 100 millisecond times.

My machine is an AMD 3200.

-g

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

Geoff wrote:

> I have a 700K file sent to me, xerces took about 2 seconds and xmllint took
> 5 seconds (no validation) but I never see 100 millisecond times.

OK, I have an XML file here (musical score data),
length about 500K and I parsed it with xmllint.

head elite.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE score-partwise PUBLIC "-//Recordare//DTD MusicXML 1.1 Partwise//EN"
"http://www.musicxml.org/dtds/partwise.dtd">
<score-partwise version="1.1">
<movement-title>Elite Syncopations</movement-title>
<identification>
<creator type="composer">Scott Joplin</creator>
<encoding>
<software>Finale 2005 for Windows</software>
<software>Dolet 3.0.2 for Finale</software>

ls -l elite.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 kahrs users 526098 2005-11-16 23:27 elite.xml

time xmllint --noout elite.xml

real 0m0.102s
user 0m0.044s
sys 0m0.000s

> My machine is an AMD 3200.

I have an AMD Sempron 2800+, so your CPU is faster ..