Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > saving xml in javascript

saving xml in javascript

Stupore! ho una sensibilit molto buona circa il vostro luogo!!!! http://www.2ire17.org/universita

> Hi all. I have the following problem. I have an xml file, while I will
> list below and I am trying to add nodes to the xml document based on
> user input to a form.
>
> The XML doc is ...
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <board>
> <message>
> <author> Author One </author>
> <comment> This is the first test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Two </author>
> <comment> This is the second test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Three </author>
> <comment> This is the third test comment </comment>
> </message>
> </board>
>

> The code I have to insert a new node is ....
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var xmlDoc;
> var xmlObj;
> var author;
> var comment;
> var message;
> function loadXMLDoc() {
>
> xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
> xmlDoc.async="false";
> xmlDoc.load("Guestbook.xml");
> xmlObj=xmlDoc.documentElement;
> processInput();
> }
>
> function processInput() {
> var new_message=xmlDoc.createElement('message');
> var new_author=xmlDoc.createElement('author');
> var new_comment=xmlDoc.createElement('comment');
> var new_author_text=new_author.createTextNode('author test
> works');
> var new_comment_text=new_comment.createTextNode('comme nt test
> works');
> new_message.appendChild(new_author);
> new_message.appendChild(new_comment);
> xmlObj.appendChild(new_message);
> xmlDoc.save("Guestbook.xml");
> }
>
> </script>
>

> Currently when I execute this is makes no change whatsoever to the xml
> file. What I expected was to open the xml doc manually and see 4 child
> nodes of the root instead of 3 as shown above in the xml listing. Any
> thoughts or ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Also of note is the above code is in the head section of a JSP file.
> Just using JSP instead of HTML file but no jsp code is actually in the
> file, just html.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

Stupore! ho una sensibilit molto buona circa il vostro luogo!!!! http://www.2ire17.org/universita

BizTalk Utilities - Frustration free BizTalk Adapters
http://www.topxml.com/biztalkutilities

Dein Aufstellungsort verdient nur gute Woerter. Danke. http://www.2ire17.org/sicilia

Du musst ein Fachmann sein - wirklich guter Aufstellungsort, den du hast! http://www.ojgetti.org/suo

Du musst ein Fachmann sein - wirklich guter Aufstellungsort, den du hast! http://www.ojgetti.org/suonerie

9 su 10! Ottenerlo! Siete buoni! http://www.ojgetti.org/ciao-bella

9 su 10! Ottenerlo! Siete buoni! http://www.ojgetti.org/parma

> Hi all. I have the following problem. I have an xml file, while I will
> list below and I am trying to add nodes to the xml document based on
> user input to a form.
>
> The XML doc is ...
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <board>
> <message>
> <author> Author One </author>
> <comment> This is the first test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Two </author>
> <comment> This is the second test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Three </author>
> <comment> This is the third test comment </comment>
> </message>
> </board>
>

> The code I have to insert a new node is ....
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var xmlDoc;
> var xmlObj;
> var author;
> var comment;
> var message;
> function loadXMLDoc() {
>
> xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
> xmlDoc.async="false";
> xmlDoc.load("Guestbook.xml");
> xmlObj=xmlDoc.documentElement;
> processInput();
> }
>
> function processInput() {
> var new_message=xmlDoc.createElement('message');
> var new_author=xmlDoc.createElement('author');
> var new_comment=xmlDoc.createElement('comment');
> var new_author_text=new_author.createTextNode('author test
> works');
> var new_comment_text=new_comment.createTextNode('comme nt test
> works');
> new_message.appendChild(new_author);
> new_message.appendChild(new_comment);
> xmlObj.appendChild(new_message);
> xmlDoc.save("Guestbook.xml");
> }
>
> </script>
>

> Currently when I execute this is makes no change whatsoever to the xml
> file. What I expected was to open the xml doc manually and see 4 child
> nodes of the root instead of 3 as shown above in the xml listing. Any
> thoughts or ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Also of note is the above code is in the head section of a JSP file.
> Just using JSP instead of HTML file but no jsp code is actually in the
> file, just html.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

9 su 10! Ottenerlo! Siete buoni! http://www.ojgetti.org/parma

BizTalk Utilities - Frustration free BizTalk Adapters
http://www.topxml.com/biztalkutilities

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Une_B=E9vue?=

RickH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > It is not possible, by JavaScript policy, to save a document in the
> > client side.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> This is only true if your web page is being served by a web server.
> If the web page is a local file on a hard drive that you have rights
> to, then the save method works. I use it all the time to write
> browser-based applications that dont require a web server to exist on
> the users machine. They just click a local html file fill out the
> form and save away.

right !

are you able to do that saving of a file with JavaSCript , which code ?

i do have an application for that :

the user select an area on the browser window and the javascript save
that part locally, usefull, for example when u read an article online
and want to avoid saving pub.
--
Une Bvue

Great site! Good luck to it's owner! http://www.ojgetti.org/nude

Nice site you have! http://www.ojgetti.org/wallpaper

> Hi all. I have the following problem. I have an xml file, while I will
> list below and I am trying to add nodes to the xml document based on
> user input to a form.
>
> The XML doc is ...
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>
> <board>
> <message>
> <author> Author One </author>
> <comment> This is the first test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Two </author>
> <comment> This is the second test comment </comment>
> </message>
> <message>
> <author> Author Three </author>
> <comment> This is the third test comment </comment>
> </message>
> </board>
>

> The code I have to insert a new node is ....
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> var xmlDoc;
> var xmlObj;
> var author;
> var comment;
> var message;
> function loadXMLDoc() {
>
> xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
> xmlDoc.async="false";
> xmlDoc.load("Guestbook.xml");
> xmlObj=xmlDoc.documentElement;
> processInput();
> }
>
> function processInput() {
> var new_message=xmlDoc.createElement('message');
> var new_author=xmlDoc.createElement('author');
> var new_comment=xmlDoc.createElement('comment');
> var new_author_text=new_author.createTextNode('author test
> works');
> var new_comment_text=new_comment.createTextNode('comme nt test
> works');
> new_message.appendChild(new_author);
> new_message.appendChild(new_comment);
> xmlObj.appendChild(new_message);
> xmlDoc.save("Guestbook.xml");
> }
>
> </script>
>

> Currently when I execute this is makes no change whatsoever to the xml
> file. What I expected was to open the xml doc manually and see 4 child
> nodes of the root instead of 3 as shown above in the xml listing. Any
> thoughts or ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Also of note is the above code is in the head section of a JSP file.
> Just using JSP instead of HTML file but no jsp code is actually in the
> file, just html.
>
> Thanks,
> Charles

Nice site you have! http://www.ojgetti.org/wallpaper

BizTalk Utilities - Frustration free BizTalk Adapters
http://www.topxml.com/biztalkutilities

RickH

On Mar 3, 11:30 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Une Bvue)
wrote:
> RickH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > It is not possible, by JavaScript policy, to save a document in the
> > > client side.

> > This is only true if your web page is being served by a web server.
> > If the web page is a local file on a hard drive that you have rights
> > to, then the save method works. I use it all the time to write
> > browser-based applications that dont require a web server to exist on
> > the users machine. They just click a local html file fill out the
> > form and save away.

> right !
>
> are you able to do that saving of a file with JavaSCript , which code ?
>
> i do have an application for that :
>
> the user select an area on the browser window and the javascript save
> that part locally, usefull, for example when u read an article online
> and want to avoid saving pub.
> --
> Une Bvue

Actually, I'm wrong, you're correct about pure javascript. I've been
using the Micosoft ActiveX XMLDOM not the java XMLDOM, but my code is
still javascript. Here is the object I use:

locXML = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.5.0" )
//locXML = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.4.0" )
//locXML = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.3.0" )
//locXML = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.5.0")
//locXML = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.4.0")
//locXML = new ActiveXObject("MSXML2.DOMDocument.3.0")

if (typeof(locXML) == 'undefined') {
alert('Error: you must have the XML DOM installed')
} else {
locXML.async = false
locXML.validateOnParse = true;
locXML.resolveExternals = true;
locXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
}
locXML.load(my file name)
locXML.save(my file name)

Sorry about the confusion, you do need activeX.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Une_B=E9vue?=

RickH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sorry about the confusion, you do need activeX.

OK, no prob

i think ActiveX doesn't exists on MacOS X right ?

in the past (about 8 years ago) it was a trick (really unusual and
complicated) to save a file, from Nestscape 4.0.x using JavaScript.

i don't remember the procedure.
--
Une Bvue