Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > DEBUG MODE

Reply
Thread Tools

DEBUG MODE

 
 
ns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
Hi all,

To view real time packet in my routers, some times, i run debug mode and
terminal monitor to print result on session, and then, i run undebug all to
stop debug.

The problem is, this operation take a lot of memory/cpu.

How can i view result of debug mode without impact performance of the router
?
Maybe by sending result of debug mode to syslog server ? If yes how, can i
do it ?

ThankYou very much for your help

Best Regards
NS


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jo Reed
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...4.html#1017117

"ns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:d6afbq$h75$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> To view real time packet in my routers, some times, i run debug mode and
> terminal monitor to print result on session, and then, i run undebug all
> to
> stop debug.
>
> The problem is, this operation take a lot of memory/cpu.
>
> How can i view result of debug mode without impact performance of the
> router
> ?
> Maybe by sending result of debug mode to syslog server ? If yes how, can i
> do it ?
>
> ThankYou very much for your help
>
> Best Regards
> NS
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
Thanks a lot Jo for quick answer

Cdly
NS

"Jo Reed" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:7F3ie.8340$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...4.html#1017117
>
> "ns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:d6afbq$h75$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > To view real time packet in my routers, some times, i run debug mode and
> > terminal monitor to print result on session, and then, i run undebug all
> > to
> > stop debug.
> >
> > The problem is, this operation take a lot of memory/cpu.
> >
> > How can i view result of debug mode without impact performance of the
> > router
> > ?
> > Maybe by sending result of debug mode to syslog server ? If yes how, can

i
> > do it ?
> >
> > ThankYou very much for your help
> >
> > Best Regards
> > NS
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
You can use an access-list to filter "debug ip packet" or just use a
sniffer.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Roberson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-16-2005
In article <d6afbq$h75$(E-Mail Removed)>, ns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:To view real time packet in my routers, some times, i run debug mode and
:terminal monitor to print result on session, and then, i run undebug all to
:stop debug.

:The problem is, this operation take a lot of memory/cpu.

:How can i view result of debug mode without impact performance of the router

In general, you cannot.

:Maybe by sending result of debug mode to syslog server ? If yes how, can i
:do it ?

Sending anything to syslog takes memory and cpu and would have
*some* performance impact.

If performance is a problem, you need to avoid having the router
do extra work to make the packet contents available. In some models
and versions, there is no way to do that. In other models and
versions, you can "span" or "rspan" without performance penalty.

If you are proposing to send the debug messages via syslog, then
your requirement is not really for 'real time' packet analysis.

Do your routers support packet capture?
--
'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
-- Journal of Self-Referentialism
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Graves
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2005
"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
news:d6ahge$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Do your routers support packet capture?
> --



Not to high-jack someone else's thread, but what routers do this? I know
that PIXes do, but I didn't know that any routers have that ability. I
guess that I need to spend more time on Cisco's website..

-Richard


 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Roberson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2005
In article <ygbie.1585$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Richard Graves <rgraves_22*NONONONO*@yahoo*NONONO*.com> wrote:
:"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
:news:d6ahge$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)...

:> Do your routers support packet capture?

:Not to high-jack someone else's thread, but what routers do this? I know
:that PIXes do, but I didn't know that any routers have that ability.

The Network Analysis Module (NAM) for one. NM-CIDS for another.
And the "SVC-ADM" "Traffic Anomaly Detector Module".

IOS with the RMON feature allows capture of packet headers
("rmon capture").


There might be others; I am no IOS expert.
--
Feep if you love VT-52's.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-17-2005
Thanks a lot for yours anwers

Cdly
NS


 
Reply With Quote
 
ns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2005
Hi All,

I don't know if my routers support packet capture. I would like to find a
standard solution for all cisco routers, also for catalysts L3.

I tested by sending logging to syslog and saving logging on buffer. This two
solutions work fine. Its betten than writing debug on the terminal monitor.

So, it's work fine, i can run debug mode without having great problem

ThankYou very much

Cdly
NS


"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> a écrit dans le message de
news:d6c0ss$6rb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <ygbie.1585$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Richard Graves <rgraves_22*NONONONO*@yahoo*NONONO*.com> wrote:
> :"Walter Roberson" <(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca> wrote in message
> :news:d6ahge$a2t$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> :> Do your routers support packet capture?
>
> :Not to high-jack someone else's thread, but what routers do this? I know
> :that PIXes do, but I didn't know that any routers have that ability.
>
> The Network Analysis Module (NAM) for one. NM-CIDS for another.
> And the "SVC-ADM" "Traffic Anomaly Detector Module".
>
> IOS with the RMON feature allows capture of packet headers
> ("rmon capture").
>
>
> There might be others; I am no IOS expert.
> --
> Feep if you love VT-52's.



 
Reply With Quote
 
M.C. van den Bovenkamp
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-18-2005
ns wrote:

> I don't know if my routers support packet capture. I would like to find a
> standard solution for all cisco routers, also for catalysts L3.
>
> I tested by sending logging to syslog and saving logging on buffer. This two
> solutions work fine. Its betten than writing debug on the terminal monitor.


There is the (undocumented) 'debug ip packet dump' which logs a hexdump
of matching packets.

The following bit of Perl will massage it into something text2pcap (part
of Ethereal: http://www.ethereal.com/) can turn into a libpcap format
file which tcpdump or Ethereal can read.

---------------------- Cut here ----------------------------


#!/usr/bin/perl

# Convert Cisco dump file format to something text2pcap can read.
# Author: Hamish Moffatt <(E-Mail Removed)>.
# License: GPL (see www.gnu.org).

sub dumppkt () {
for ($i = 0; $i < scalar(@pkt); $i++) {
if ($i % 16 == 0) {
printf "\n%08X", $i;
}

printf " %02X", $pkt[$i];
}

}

while(<>) {
chomp;

unless (m/[0-9A-F]{8}:/) {
rly do her in?ØA DROPPRIVS=yes@Á-capture_wbai* interparse*
msn/À‰ dumppkt;
undef @pkt;
next;
}

# Strip the offsets and ASCII dump
$hex = substr $_, 10, 35;

# Remove all spaces
$hex =~ s/ //g;

# Convert hex bytes on this line
while ((length $hex) > 0) {
push @pkt, hex (substr $hex, 0, 2, "");
}

}

dumppkt;
print "\n";


-------------------------- Cut here ------------------------------

Regards,

Marco.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
netvmini.sys still not working on Windows 7 even after driver signing disabled ?! (Windows debug mode necessary for debug drivers ???) Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 3 08-09-2009 05:54 AM
User Control access fails in debug mode, works in release mode rbg ASP .Net 0 01-17-2007 10:51 PM
Response.Redirect is slooow in debug mode, ok in release mode =?Utf-8?B?TWF4?= ASP .Net 0 02-11-2006 12:37 AM
Debug mode dll's vs release mode dll's? Dave ASP .Net 0 02-20-2004 03:49 AM



Advertisments