Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Policing from ATM hub to spokes over MPLS

Policing from ATM hub to spokes over MPLS

bob@bfisk.demon.co.uk

Hi all,

I have hub site with an E3 ATM connection with a 4Mb PVC to a MPLS
network which feeds two Frame Relay 2Mb spoke sites. I want to police
the traffic to each spoke so that I don't exceed any of the three
classes of traffic configured for each spoke site, ie splits it half
and half.

At present I have my three classes of traffic voice (llq), important
data and default. These are applied to the ATM PVC subinterface with a
service policy and work fine. Obviously the issue is that the traffic
is shaped by the vbr-nrt statement....

policy-map to-ipclear
class cust-c1
priority 1000
police cir 1000000
conform-action set-prec-transmit 4
exceed-action drop
class cust-c2
police cir 96000
conform-action set-prec-transmit 6
exceed-action set-prec-transmit 6
class class-default
fair-queue
police cir 3000000
conform-action set-prec-transmit 5
exceed-action set-prec-transmit 5
!
interface ATM1/0
bandwidth 34000
no ip address
ip mtu 1500
no ip mroute-cache
atm ilmi-keepalive
!
interface ATM1/0.101 point-to-point
bandwidth 4096
ip unnumbered Loopback1
no ip mroute-cache
pvc siteA 1/32
vbr-nrt 4096 4096
service-policy output to-ipclear

Now, if I try to include parent and child policy maps so that I police
(by subnet) the classes of traffic so that we have say 500K voice, 40K
important data and 1.5Mb default to each spoke, applying the policy to
the subinterface results in :- CBWFQ:Hierachy supported only if shaping
is configured.....

I can't shape on the subinterface or on the main interface as I then
get the error GTS:not supported.
So, this all looks a bit catch 22!!

Looking on CCO, there are many examples for doing this on Ethernet
interfaces but not ATM and not over MPLS with a single PVC.
I'm sure I'm missing something really obvious here but if anyone has a
working config they could share it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Bob