Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchain wanted

New XML-User: DTD-Aware freeware XML-Editor/typical command-line-toolchain wanted

dunklervater@yahoo.com

Hello group,

I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
Thatīs why I am on the lookout for:

1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
(goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
element)

2. the elements of a typical XML-toolchain
* freeware XSLT-processor
* stylesheet engine (either with FOP or what I would like much better:
CSS)
* whatever else you would deem appropriate or necessary.

BTW:
* Is there any decent freeware (or cheap) DTD/Schema editor
* Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?
* Are there any standard web ressources one should know?

Thank you in advance for any input on this.

Cheers,
F.

Peter Flynn

> Hello group,
>
> I work at a shop that mostly uses FM+XML when using XML.
> Yet I am very interested in how "the rest of the world" is using XML.
> Thatīs why I am on the lookout for:
>
> 1. a freeware XML-Editor, that is DTD-/Schema-aware and can do Unicode
> (goal: should only show me elements which are valid as the next
> element)

All XML editors (except the very simplest) do this.

The problem with XML editors is not their XML conformance (usually)
but the usability of their interfaces.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

Joe Kesselman

> * Whats the difference between an XSL-Processor and ANT?

Uhm... Have you tried plugging "XSL" or "ANT" into a web search engine?
That will rapidly take you to the W3C and Apache websites (respectively)
which describe these tools.

(There are actually two layers to XSL processing -- XSLT transformations
and XSL-FO formatting/rendering -- but when folks just say XSL they most
often mean the former.)