Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Newb Question- sorry

Cisco Newb Question- sorry

indo

Okay, let me apologize for being a newb that posts. I just can't
afford the monetary cost if I screw this up.

I have a Cisco router 2513 router. I would like to have ethernet
running over the serial or token ring interfaces. I know the stack
abstracts the hardware from the transport BUT can the router handle
this?

Do I need some simple physical converter or a more complex solution?
Are there any drawbacks?

Thanks.
indo

Jonathan

"indo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Okay, let me apologize for being a newb that posts. I just can't
> afford the monetary cost if I screw this up.
>
> I have a Cisco router 2513 router. I would like to have ethernet
> running over the serial or token ring interfaces.

Ethernet can only run over ethernet interfaces, serial and token ring
interfaces can do serial or token ring.

> I know the stack
> abstracts the hardware from the transport BUT can the router handle
> this?
>
> Do I need some simple physical converter or a more complex solution?
> Are there any drawbacks?

The simple solution is an NM-1E

Jonathan

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
indo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have a Cisco router 2513 router. I would like to have ethernet
:running over the serial or token ring interfaces. I know the stack
:abstracts the hardware from the transport BUT can the router handle
:this?

"ethernet" includes the physical layer, and neither serial interfaces
nnor Token Ring interfaces are accepted physical layers for ethernet.

What you -probably- want to do is run IP over those interfaces,
not ethernet over those interfaces.

o I need some simple physical converter or a more complex solution?
:Are there any drawbacks?

Perhaps if you expanded on what you are trying to do?
--
Feep if you love VT-52's.

indo

Okay, lets start at the begining, then if some basic thing I am
misunderstanding is wrong I won't trip you/me up any further.

I bought a Cisco 2514 router on ebay to teach myself. I found one, saw
the two RJ-45 jacks and assumed I could route an ethernet connection
through it. Stupid I know, usually I research everything for days but,
gah. Anyway, I sent it off too two friends who said it was a good
price got their recomendation.

I get the sucker here and figure out that the AUX port is just the
programming port NOT any sort of ethernet interface.

So the fully elaborated question: How can I get it to accept a DSL WAN
connection and an outgoing ethernet to my network?

>"ethernet" includes the physical layer, and neither serial interfaces
>nnor Token Ring interfaces are accepted physical layers for ethernet.
>
>What you -probably- want to do is run IP over those interfaces,
>not ethernet over those interfaces.

Ahh yes, sorry ethernet and TCP/IP got fused in my head : P. Your
right, TCP/IP over another interface but I still need to convert that
physcial interface to ethernet for my network.

I found this serial to ethernet converter earlier:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379
Given what you just I am doubting this would help, but it is very cheap
and I figured I would ask. This is "serial" not like what this Cisco
box (forgive my ignorance) has labled as Serial but rather the same
jack as the Token Ring. There is this:
http://www.cispc.com/ssdept.asp?dept_id=008-021
I know next to zilch about what an AUI is, Wikipedia and Google are
turing up some sort of interface for ethernet NIC's. If this isn't the
case then these are translating the signal. Would either of these
transparently let me do all my routing stuff? If one of these
transceivers would work any recommendations?

>The simple solution is an NM-1E

Okay, thats a new one on me. After some Googling from what I
understand I cannot install any Cisco Networking Modules into a 2500
series router. Maybe I'm wrong. Also I can't seem to find one much
below a $100. I can barley afford all this. I am _scraping_ together
an education at the moment. If something above my budget is the only
solution I will save for a month or two and put off the education. I
would be willing to hack the 2500, say if there is some component not
died into the board but just a module that I could swap out. Although
I am seriously doubting this is the case, you all would know much
better than me the hackability of this stuff.

I could resell this thing and get a 26x1 series router since I don't
think any 2500's have two ethernet interfaces. Everything I am finding
on ebay hits above a hundred. Cheap used reseller hook-ups anyone?

Thanks so much and sorry for being an idiot who bought a 2500 in the
first place.
Zach

indo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I bought a Cisco 2514 router on ebay to teach myself. I found one, saw
:the two RJ-45 jacks and assumed I could route an ethernet connection
:through it. Stupid I know, usually I research everything for days but,
:gah. Anyway, I sent it off too two friends who said it was a good
rice got their recomendation.

:I get the sucker here and figure out that the AUX port is just the
rogramming port NOT any sort of ethernet interface.

:So the fully elaborated question: How can I get it to accept a DSL WAN
:connection and an outgoing ethernet to my network?

:I could resell this thing and get a 26x1 series router since I don't
:think any 2500's have two ethernet interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...2500ug/ovr.htm

The 2514 *has* two ethernet interfaces. The connectors are not
RJ-45, they are AUI, but that *is* an ethernet interface.
To get the signal into 10BaseT you need a transceiver such
as the MiLan "Micro Mau" MIL-10P model, or such as a Kingston
Technology Corporation EtheRx model MAU-002 .

ebay for 10baset aui transceiver
The one labeled "QNTY 2 Transcievers Transceivers Ethernet 10baseT AUI"
should work for sure, but you could probably do better on price.
The one at the top that ends later today looks like it would probably
work; it has a $4.99 "By It Now", but notice that it is located in
Singapore, so by the time you pay shipping and handling and customs,
one of the others might be less expensive.

You can find other manufacturers and models by searching dealtime.com's
transceiver section for 10baset aui -- possibly if you were to search
specifically on one of the models there you might find a good deal that
doesn't happen to be indexed by ebay .
--
Would you buy a used bit from this man??

Doug McIntyre

"indo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Okay, lets start at the begining, then if some basic thing I am
>misunderstanding is wrong I won't trip you/me up any further.

The beginning is good. Its better to state what you want from the start,
rather than to start off with some assumptions and ask questions
specific to those assumptions that probably are wrong.

>I bought a Cisco 2514 router on ebay to teach myself. I found one, saw
>the two RJ-45 jacks and assumed I could route an ethernet connection
>through it.

The 2514 was made before 10-Base-T was widely used. The RJ-45 jacks on
it are the console port and the aux port. Both serial ports. Typically
you program the router through the console serial port, and could hang
a modem for dial-backup on the aux port. Or some other means.

The Ethernet ports are the AUI connectors labelled E0 and E1 on the router.
It was made to have AUIs to be flexible, either plugging into some
transceivers up to taps, or 10-base-2 or 10-base-t transceivers.

You probably want to find some 10-base-T micro transceivers on eBay,
should be fairly cheap, in the few dollar range.

>I get the sucker here and figure out that the AUX port is just the
>programming port NOT any sort of ethernet interface.

The console port is the programming port. aux typically doesn't do
anything unless you set it up to do it.

>So the fully elaborated question: How can I get it to accept a DSL WAN
>connection and an outgoing ethernet to my network?

First, get some 10-base-T micro transceivers, and then hook up your
DSL WAN to one of the ethernet ports (ie. either E0 or E1).

>I found this serial to ethernet converter earlier:
>http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...=0&dcaid=17379

Thats not a convertor. Thats just a shell. Its unfortunate that they
say Ethernet anywhere close to it. If you wanted to make your
own Cisco programming cable, you could use this, although buying one
on eBay for $1 would be cheaper if you didn't get one with the router.

>http://www.cispc.com/ssdept.asp?dept_id=008-021

You don't need this in any shape or form.

>I know next to zilch about what an AUI is, Wikipedia and Google are
>turing up some sort of interface for ethernet NIC's. If this isn't the
>case then these are translating the signal. Would either of these
>transparently let me do all my routing stuff? If one of these
>transceivers would work any recommendations?

http://search.ebay.com/AUI-Transceiv...trypageZsearch

The $3-$4 range is good. Cisco never made any, the ones labelled cisco
at the higher price are just people trolling for people that don't
know any better.

>>The simple solution is an NM-1E

>Okay, thats a new one on me.

Wrong advice, probably given before you told people what you wanted
and had. Ignore.

>Thanks so much and sorry for being an idiot who bought a 2500 in the
>first place.

It'll work fine. Afterall, the Cisco 25xx platform was released in
1994 and was the mainstay of the cisco smaller-end CPE range for almost 8 years.
Its a big slow and clunky for being a box that is 11 years old now,
but it'll work fine for learning on.

indo

Ahh well, I am a dumbass. This is a 25_13_. Sob. So, from the ebay
back too the ebay?
Thanks, sorry, that's an embarsingly bad screwup.

indo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Ahh well, I am a dumbass. This is a 25_13_. Sob. So, from the ebay
:back too the ebay?

You can get Token Ring to Ethernet Bridges, but it's probably
not worth the price.

newb: generic vector Pela VHDL 1 01-22-2005 07:07 PM
Newb: Help with code ! Prime VHDL 2 01-02-2005 06:38 PM
cisco t1 gw with many fxs endpoint - radius (radiator) -urgent help sorry optimus Cisco 1 04-01-2004 08:26 PM
Sorry Sorry Sorry but what camera for me - Real Esate Phil Digital Photography 19 12-28-2003 05:28 PM
Perl newb in need of help with script. David K. Worman Perl 2 09-18-2003 05:07 PM

Advertisments