Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Thumbnail size

Thumbnail size

Samuel van Laere

Perhaps i'm asking to much tonight
But is there any size considered a good general size
for thumbnails?

Cheers,
Sam

dorayme

In article <64680$45e0b4af$d52e1f47$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Samuel van Laere" <webklunsATgmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps i'm asking to much tonight
> But is there any size considered a good general size
> for thumbnails?

It depends to some extent on the situation. But, imo, thumbnails
the size of thumbs are almost useless, barely better than a plain
text link in giving information (as distinct to decoration) to
most people to base a decision to click or not to click.

Best is to make the thumbnails rather bigger than the traditional
tiny size so that viewers can truly decide if they want to see
bigger. It should be a size in many situations that might even
satisfy a viewer's appetitite sufficiently that they do not want
to click to bigger

<http://tvrs.org.au/gallery/gallery.html>

is the sort of thing I have in mind as being reasonable.

perhaps

<http://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/pendulum/publications.html>

is a bit too big in the context.

while something like, to take something at random almost:

<http://hubblesite.org/gallery/>

on the left under heading "Hubble Images", is too small for
informed judgment.

--
dorayme

Neredbojias

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:57:05 GMT Samuel van Laere scribed:

> Perhaps i'm asking to much tonight
> But is there any size considered a good general size
> for thumbnails?
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

Well, for portrait orientation, I recommend 267 x 400 pixels. Anything
smaller obscures the "warts-and-all" principle.

--
Neredbojias

Samuel van Laere

Thanks dorayme,

I suppose that this will be just fine:
http://www.oukje.nl/index/pagina/13
But I would like to allow more then just two thumbnails in a row,
while allowing it to adjust to the width of the browser window.
If I remember correctly there's some CSS stuff
thats about liquid photo gallary's?
google didn't find it for me.

Anyone with a example of CSS doing liquid photo gallary's?

Cheers,
Sam

dorayme

In article <65eb3$45e334f9$d52e1f47$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Samuel van Laere" <webklunsATgmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks dorayme,
>
> I suppose that this will be just fine:
> http://www.oukje.nl/index/pagina/13
> But I would like to allow more then just two thumbnails in a row,
> while allowing it to adjust to the width of the browser window.
> If I remember correctly there's some CSS stuff
> thats about liquid photo gallary's?
> google didn't find it for me.
>
> Anyone with a example of CSS doing liquid photo gallary's?
>
> Cheers,
> Sam

It looks nice your page. I have not looked at your code. About
liquid layout of thumbs... there is better but you can take a
look at the stuff at

<http://members.optushome.com.au/droo...plate/galleryD
ivd.html>

for ideas.

--
dorayme

Paul

"Samuel van Laere" <webklunsATgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:65eb3$45e334f9$d52e1f47$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Thanks dorayme,
>
> I suppose that this will be just fine:
> http://www.oukje.nl/index/pagina/13
> But I would like to allow more then just two thumbnails in a row,
> while allowing it to adjust to the width of the browser window.

In my website http://www.tortebomboniere.com/bombo...ourcake01.html I
have put many thumbnails.
Dimensions of each of them is 150 x 150 pixel and about 5KB.
Dimension in pixel is enough great to give many informations to the
visitors, and file dimension is enough low to have high speed of download as
you can see.
I have compressed thumbnails images using ACDSee. It' s easy and very fast.
Paul (from Italy)

dorayme

In article <45e56746$0$7739$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Samuel van Laere" <webklunsATgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:65eb3$45e334f9$d52e1f47$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Thanks dorayme,
> >
> > I suppose that this will be just fine:
> > http://www.oukje.nl/index/pagina/13
> > But I would like to allow more then just two thumbnails in a row,
> > while allowing it to adjust to the width of the browser window.

> In my website http://www.tortebomboniere.com/bombo...ourcake01.html I
> have put many thumbnails.
> Dimensions of each of them is 150 x 150 pixel and about 5KB.
> Dimension in pixel is enough great to give many informations to the
> visitors, and file dimension is enough low to have high speed of download as
> you can see.
> I have compressed thumbnails images using ACDSee. It' s easy and very fast.
> Paul (from Italy)

The thumbnail sizes are fine here for your purposes. But there is
trouble with your design. For a start, look at what happens to
your last two pics in the row under "Quick search and new items
for favors and gifts in following ceremonies: " at 800px wide
browser window.

I will let you work out the trouble, here is a hint though, it
starts around about:

html > body > center > center > center > center > table > tbody >
tr > td

(Luigi... Luigi... is that you Luigi?)

--
dorayme

mbstevens

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 22:57:05 +0100, Samuel van Laere wrote:

> Perhaps i'm asking to much tonight
> But is there any size considered a good general size
> for thumbnails?

You want the thumbnail to be big enough to allow the visitor to decide
whether she wants to click through to the enlargement -- some images
require larger thumbnails than others, and a human choice is required. You
also don't want to make the thumbnail too large, because this will slow
download time.

A detail might be enough.
Sometimes it is effective to use a detail from a larger image
instead of a thumbnail of the entire image. Use the part of the
image that conveys the most useful information.
--
mbstevens
http://www.mbstevens.com/howtothumb/index.html

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sometimes it is effective to use a detail from a larger image
> instead of a thumbnail of the entire image. Use the part of the
> image that conveys the most useful information.

I must remember to include this in my spiels about thumbnails as
it is a very good point (long ago acknowledged by me to you if
you recall)

[Hey mb, I saw an excellent film last night, new one, something
that absolutely suited me, no violence, nice, clever: Stranger
then Fiction. Try it. <g>]

--
dorayme

mbstevens

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 13:03:08 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> mbstevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sometimes it is effective to use a detail from a larger image
>> instead of a thumbnail of the entire image. Use the part of the
>> image that conveys the most useful information.

> I must remember to include this in my spiels about thumbnails as
> it is a very good point (long ago acknowledged by me to you if
> you recall)

Neilsen has more than I do to say about it:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9611.html

> [Hey mb, I saw an excellent film last night, new one, something
> that absolutely suited me, no violence, nice, clever: Stranger
> then Fiction. Try it. <g>]

[ Will do. Took a minute for me to realize you weren't talking about
Jarmusch's wonderful 1984 movie Stranger than Paradise. ]