Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > simple chat script

simple chat script

Dave Kelly

I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
over the Internet.

Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

TIA
Dave

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

J.O. Aho

Dave Kelly wrote:
> I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
> that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
> over the Internet.
>
> Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

--

//Aho

Dave Kelly

J.O. Aho wrote:
> Dave Kelly wrote:
>> I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server.
>> Something that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting
>> once a month over the Internet.
>>
>> Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

> I would suggest the use of IRC, you get a load less lag time.

Thanks for the feed back. I found that I did not have a IRC application
on my system. At least find, locate, and apropos did not respond to
'irc'. So I went and installed IRC.

Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room. Am I
correct? Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
software should I use to do that?

These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
savvy. I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
would be the best approach. Do you know of any software I could put on
the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

I'm looking for something that is real time interaactive.

Thanks
Dave

--
A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.

Travis Newbury

On Feb 18, 2:39 pm, Dave Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need a very simple chat script I can drop on my web server. Something
> that a dozen people can access and have a committee meeting once a month
> over the Internet.
> Does something already exist or do I need to come back with some code?

There is a great website out there called google.com. you can search
for just about anything you like on the internet. If you go there and
enter "free web based chat" I bet you would come up with a ton of
answers.

J.O. Aho

Dave Kelly wrote:

> Reading the KDE help of IRC, I must connect to a server chat room.

You connect to a server, where you then select to enter a channel (chat room).
In KDE you KSirc, you find it in the internet menu.

> Can I create that chat room on my website server and what
> software should I use to do that?

You can use a web based irc client, there are modules to a load of popular
portals, which you can use or rewrite to be stand alone, but as you will use
your website this will cause lag time, a user gains a lot from using IRC
directly, faster, more features.

> These people that will be using this are not exceptionally computer
> savvy.

Mozilla/SeaMonkey has a built in IRC client, so that should be easy for them
to use IRC.

> I have trouble getting them to access the website, so KISSY KISSY
> would be the best approach.

If they have trouble to access your website, then they would have even less
chance of using a web based chat on your site.

> Do you know of any software I could put on
> the server and ask the users to just point there bowser to something
> like: http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

Use Rewrite Rules, most apaches are isntalled with th needed module (don't
know if thats true for microsoft)

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule /page/they/load.html http://www.website.org/committe-meeting.htm

--