Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Strange cell colors

Strange cell colors

tim@nocomment.com

I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
default white background and some cells with a grey background.
It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
showing up as yellow.
Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?
Some application or something?
I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):

> I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
> default white background and some cells with a grey background.

Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
email address?

> It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
> showing up as yellow.

That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...

....right, the error is at line 42. Of something.

> Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.

> Some application or something?

Undoubtedly.

> I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

tim@nocomment.com

On Feb 15, 6:35 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit (E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I am developing a JSP application that has some cells with the normal
> > default white background and some cells with a grey background.

> Really? And we're supposed to guess the URL from your name, or from your
> email address?
>
> > It works fine on my computer but other people get some of the cells
> > showing up as yellow.

> That's really mystic, but wait a second, I will cast a few spells...
>
> ...right, the error is at line 42. Of something.
>
> > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

> Quite possibly - an evil Luser has enchanted those people's computers, using
> a wicked User Style Sheet, with the powerful !important magic.
>
> > Some application or something?

> Undoubtedly.
>
> > I'm sure I'm not the first person to come up against this.

> Against a stone wall? Certainly you aren't. If you'd care to stop hitting
> your head on the wall harder, consider posting the URL.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
at it anyway, stupid.
Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
stupid!!

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
<snip>
> Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
> of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
> is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
> at it anyway, stupid.

And you figure we would know why 'cuz? This is alt.html not the psychic
hot-line.

> Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
> if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
> cause this.

Anyway you know this *has* to be something other than your markup 'cuz?

> Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
> stupid!!

Oh, I am sure he understood what you wrote, what he was implying was
what you wrote was senseless. But since you are certain your problem has
nothing to do with your markup (which we cannot see) and must be some
browser setting (which we cannot see) or other application on your
system (which we cannot see) then you are on your way! Good luck
figuring it out!

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Rik

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
> of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
> is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
> at it anyway, stupid.
> Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
> if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
> cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
> stupid!!

Well, enlighten us.
I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
this happened, without further information.
--
Rik Wasmus

Andy Dingley

On 15 Feb, 22:22, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.

HTH. HAND. <plonk>

tim@nocomment.com

On Feb 16, 11:33 am, "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 15 Feb, 22:22, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

> Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.
>
> HTH. HAND. <plonk>

Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
maybe some applications that do likewise.
Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
something like that.

tim@nocomment.com

On Feb 17, 10:34 am, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Feb 16, 11:33 am, "Andy Dingley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 15 Feb, 22:22, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Is there something that would override the colors I am specifying?

> > Probably, but we're apparently too stupid to know.

> > HTH. HAND. <plonk>

> Apparently so. I assumed since you wrote html, you would be familiar
> with settings in IE or other browsers that would alter the ouput. Or
> maybe some applications that do likewise.
> Don't worry, I'll try to enlighten you when I find out.
> Maybe the group should be called beginner's html or amateur's html or
> something like that.

I guess the problem I am having is in understanding why some people
feel compelled to post a reply when they don't have an answer. If you
don't know the answer, don't post! If you need clarification or have
some question to ask that might lead to an answer, ask it.
Instead, Jerrka decides to make fun of my posting and, in doing so,
look like an ass.
Most of the rest of you decided to do the same.
I guess that's what happens when kids get on the internet.

tim@nocomment.com

On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
> > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
> > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
> > at it anyway, stupid.
> > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
> > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
> > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
> > stupid!!

> Well, enlighten us.
> I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
> It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
> this happened, without further information.
> --
> Rik Wasmus

Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
this posting to explain this.
I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
me wonder about them.
As I said, i my situation this is occurring on some computers using IE
as the browser. I know it has nothing to do with my JSP because
yellows and greens don't just show up out of thin air and nowhere in
my code to I specify those colours. There must be some application or
some setting in IE that causes this.
I was just hoping someone had come across it before and could save me
some time investigating.
I'm sorry people in this newsgroup feel compelled to insult me
ridicule my question based on their lack of reading comprehension
skills.

tim@nocomment.com

On Feb 16, 11:13 am, Rik <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:38:53 +0100, (E-Mail Removed)
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Listen stupid, I wasn't asking anyone to look at my URL. As a matter
> > of fact, point one is that it is still being developed and point two
> > is that it is an intranet application so you wouldn't be able to look
> > at it anyway, stupid.
> > Also, I know it has nothing to do with my application, I was asking
> > if there was some other application or some IE settings that would
> > cause this. Of course you knew that because you can read!! Can't you,
> > stupid!!

> Well, enlighten us.
> I have here a div element that clearly has a margin-top of 12px set on it.
> It doesn't get rendered like that in the browser. Please inform me how
> this happened, without further information.
> --
> Rik Wasmus

Well, Rik, in a normal situation, I wouldn't even reply since I don't
know the answer. Since you are asking me specifically, I am writing
this posting to explain this.
I realize many people don't know the answer. Why some feel compelled
to write something saying they don't know the answer is a what makes
me wonder about them.
As I said, in my situation this is occurring on some computers using