Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Planning to mix Catalyst 4507R with w/3com 3870's

Planning to mix Catalyst 4507R with w/3com 3870's

Ned

Can anyone tell me what the drawbacks are to mixing a Catalyst 4507
with 3com 3870's? My boss is willing to pay for Cisco in our MDF, but
wants the cheaper 3coms in all 10 of our IDFs. Will this cause any
problems with vlans or anything else? We are connecting to the 3coms
via multimode fiber at gigabit speeds.

BTW, here is the 4507 I am ordering for voice and data. I would
appreciate any suggestions on improving it.
Thanks

CATALYST 4500 CHASSIS
1400W AC POWER SUPPLY
C4500 1400W PWR SUPPLY
CAT 4000 SUPIV 2 GE
CAT 4507R RED SUPIV
IOS BASIC L3 CAT4500
CAT 4500 IOS-BASED

Wayne

"Ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Can anyone tell me what the drawbacks are to mixing a Catalyst 4507
> with 3com 3870's? My boss is willing to pay for Cisco in our MDF, but
> wants the cheaper 3coms in all 10 of our IDFs. Will this cause any
> problems with vlans or anything else? We are connecting to the 3coms
> via multimode fiber at gigabit speeds.
>

> BTW, here is the 4507 I am ordering for voice and data. I would
> appreciate any suggestions on improving it.
> Thanks
>
> CATALYST 4500 CHASSIS
> 1400W AC POWER SUPPLY
> C4500 1400W PWR SUPPLY
> CAT 4000 SUPIV 2 GE
> CAT 4507R RED SUPIV
> IOS BASIC L3 CAT4500
> CAT 4500 IOS-BASED

I had a problem with a 3com SuperStack III switch in a mostly Cisco
environement when using redundant uplinks. Seems the spanning tree
protocols were not totally comaptable, but it could have been due to my
ignorance on the 3com product line.