Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > About loading html pages already loaded

About loading html pages already loaded

418928@cepsz.unizar.es

Hi everybody,

I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
the user to the right tab automatically.

Note: I will have an applet on that page and I want to avoid calling
it twice.

thanks,
Sergio

Arjen

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) schreef:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
> page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
> case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
> the user to the right tab automatically.

No and for good reasons

--
Arjen
http://www.hondenpage.com

Ed Mullen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
> page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
> case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
> the user to the right tab automatically.
>
> Note: I will have an applet on that page and I want to avoid calling
> it twice.

You can't control if a user opens your applet/page once, 2x, 3x, etc.,
nor whether he opens those in new tabs or new windows. You cannot
redirect a user's request for a page/applet to a specific window or tab
in his browser because the browser won't tell about the existence of
such things.

However! If the user has his browser's cache enabled (and configured a
certain way) it is certainly possible (perhaps likely, but I'm not
willing to go that far) that the request for your page/applet will be
drawn from the user's local cache and not downloaded again from your
server. But you have no real control over that. Nor should you.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Andrew Thompson

On Feb 12, 8:26 am, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi everybody,

> > I would like to know if there is some trick to avoid loading an HTML
> > page again is it is already loaded in another browser tab. In that
> > case, instead of loading the page again, I would just like to direct
> > the user to the right tab automatically.

> > Note: I will have anappleton that page and I want to avoid calling
> > it twice.

> You can't control if a user opens yourapplet/page once, 2x, 3x, etc.,
> nor whether he opens those in new tabs or new windows. You cannot
> redirect a user's request for a page/appletto a specific window or tab
> in his browser because the browser won't tell about the existence of
> such things.
>
> However! If the user has his browser's cache enabled (and configured a
> certain way) it is certainly possible (perhaps likely, but I'm not
> willing to go that far) that the request for your page/appletwill be
> drawn from the user's local cache and not downloaded again from your
> server. But you have no real control over that. Nor should you.

As someone who has had a deal of experience
with applets, I can only add that Ed got it
'spot on'.

If you wish to have more control over the
deployment of the applet, I recommend you
look to launching it using Java web start
(JWS). Here is an exmaple of JWS to launch
an applet (and an application)
<http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

Note that although this is an HTML/applet
question, I would also recommend ..
comp.lang.java.help
...or..
comp.lang.java.programmer
...for any Java related questions (though do
not mistake Java programmers for people who
can write valid and robust HTML or JS!).

HTH

Andrew T.