Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > OT: does google sitemap.xml need to be linked to the site?

OT: does google sitemap.xml need to be linked to the site?

Mike Scirocco

I created a google sitemap.xml file and I was wondering if the site has
to include a link to the file since it's not useful to the average
viewer of the site. Can the file just sit on the server without being
linked to anything and still be effective?

dfloss

> I created a google sitemap.xml file and I was wondering if the site has
> to include a link to the file since it's not useful to the average
> viewer of the site. Can the file just sit on the server without being
> linked to anything and still be effective?

Look at the bottom of this page:

http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html

Mike Scirocco

dfloss wrote:
>> I created a google sitemap.xml file and I was wondering if the site
>> has to include a link to the file since it's not useful to the average
>> viewer of the site. Can the file just sit on the server without being
>> linked to anything and still be effective?

> Look at the bottom of this page:
> http://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html

dfloss,

Thanks for clearing that up.