Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Frames and server generated HTML

Frames and server generated HTML

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

Hi
I have a frameset containing two frames: left and right.
%>
<frameset cols="20%, 80%" >
<frameset rows="100,200" >
<frame src="frame1.html" name=_frame2>

</frameset>
<frame src="test.jsp" name=_frame1>
</frameset>

The left frame (frame1.html) has links to the bookmarks in the right
frame as follows:

The right frame displays the output of Java Code (JSP) in test.jsp
that has all the book marks.

Now when I click on the left frame links, I expect to see the right
frame put the bookmark on the top of the frame. However, what I see is
a blank left frame.

Then I tried the following in frame1.html

This calls the test.jsp script on the server. I don't want the
test.jsp called more than once, i.e. at the time of initializing the
frames.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Thanks

dfloss

> Hi
> I have a frameset containing two frames: left and right.
> %>
> <frameset cols="20%, 80%" >
> <frameset rows="100,200" >
> <frame src="frame1.html" name=_frame2>
>
> </frameset>
> <frame src="test.jsp" name=_frame1>
> </frameset>
>

> The left frame (frame1.html) has links to the bookmarks in the right
> frame as follows:
>
> The right frame displays the output of Java Code (JSP) in test.jsp
> that has all the book marks.
>
> Now when I click on the left frame links, I expect to see the right
> frame put the bookmark on the top of the frame. However, what I see is
> a blank left frame.
>
> Then I tried the following in frame1.html

> This calls the test.jsp script on the server. I don't want the
> test.jsp called more than once, i.e. at the time of initializing the
> frames.
>
> Can someone please help me figure this out?
>
> Thanks

Your frameset should look something like this:

<frameset cols="20%,80%">
<frame src="frame1.html" name="frame1" scrolling="auto">
<frame src="test.jsp" name="frame2" scrolling="auto">
</frameset>

Links in the left frame should look like this:

The frame names have to be consistent for all the files, so don't mix
"frame2" with "right_frame" & etc. "right_frame" is a lot easier to
remember than "frame2".

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

On Feb 7, 10:30 am, dfloss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have a frameset containing two frames: left and right.
> > %>
> > <frameset cols="20%, 80%" >
> > <frameset rows="100,200" >
> > <frame src="frame1.html" name=_frame2>

> > </frameset>
> > <frame src="test.jsp" name=_frame1>
> > </frameset>

> > The left frame (frame1.html) has links to the bookmarks in the right
> > frame as follows:

> > The right frame displays the output of Java Code (JSP) in test.jsp
> > that has all the book marks.

> > Now when I click on the left frame links, I expect to see the right
> > frame put the bookmark on the top of the frame. However, what I see is
> > a blank left frame.

> > Then I tried the following in frame1.html

> > This calls the test.jsp script on the server. I don't want the
> > test.jsp called more than once, i.e. at the time of initializing the
> > frames.

> > Can someone please help me figure this out?

> > Thanks

> Your frameset should look something like this:
>
> <frameset cols="20%,80%">
> <frame src="frame1.html" name="frame1" scrolling="auto">
> <frame src="test.jsp" name="frame2" scrolling="auto">
> </frameset>
>
> Links in the left frame should look like this:
>
> The frame names have to be consistent for all the files, so don't mix
> "frame2" with "right_frame" & etc. "right_frame" is a lot easier to
> remember than "frame2".- Hide quoted text -

That's a typo on my part. The code is exactly the way you corrected
it. Still no luck.
Thanks

J.O. Aho

> On Feb 7, 10:30 am, dfloss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Then I tried the following in frame1.html
>>> This calls the test.jsp script on the server. I don't want the
>>> test.jsp called more than once, i.e. at the time of initializing the
>>> frames.

This how it works, specially when you target from another page/frame.

Maybe you should think of redesign your site to not use frames if anchoring
into the page like this, think most clients won't reload the page if the links
are in the page itself.

Using CSS/JavaScript can make it look like if it was framed and you can also
include AJAX if you want to load parts of the page at the time.

--

//Aho

Andy Dingley

On 7 Feb, 15:37, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> That's a typo on my part. The code is exactly the way you corrected
> it. Still no luck.

That's why many respondents ignore questions that are posted snippets
rather than URLs to the real example.

soup_or_power@yahoo.com

On Feb 7, 10:50 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This how it works, specially when you target from another page/frame.
>
> Maybe you should think of redesign your site to not use frames if anchoring
> into the page like this, think most clients won't reload the page if the links
> are in the page itself.
>
> Using CSS/JavaScript can make it look like if it was framed and you can also
> include AJAX if you want to load parts of the page at the time.
>
> --
>
> //Aho

Thank you for your feedback. I gave up on frames and used the
Javascript code here:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...staticmenu.htm

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Thank you for your feedback. I gave up on frames and used the
> Javascript code here:
>
> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...staticmenu.htm

What's a <layer> ?

That menu doesn't do anything spectacular in any of my browsers, with
JavaScript On or Off. Yes, I see it floating around at the above page,
but it doesn't work on a local page in my Windows IE6, Opera 9, Firefox
1.5.0.9 ...

Besides that, it's annoying. <g>
Hardly worth the effort ... Sorry.

--