Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to make navigation buttons appear on all pages?

How to make navigation buttons appear on all pages?

Talal Itani

I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
you very much.

Regards,
T.I.

Chaddy2222

On Feb 6, 12:49 am, "Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
> buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
> and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
> always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
> you very much.
>
> Regards,
> T.I.

The best way to do that is with a bit of server side programing, you
can use PHP includes or SSI (Server side includes,) depending on what
you have on your web server. You just place all your navigation in one
file and then copy that include code on to all pages, once set-up you
just change the one file and it adds the change to all pages, through
pre-processing completed on the server.
Hope that helps.

Shija

Talal Itani wrote:
> I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
> buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
> and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
> always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
> you very much.

If I understood, you need same buttons on every page.
That is easiest to do with SSI.

On every page where buttons should appear put include file. For example:

<!--#include file="buttons.txt" -->

Then, make a ordinary text file named buttons.txt, save it in the same
directory as web pages and in that text file write a peace of code you
would like to be on the pages. For example:

<ul>
</ul>

Every time page is loaded, server will change line:
<!--#include file="buttons.txt" --> with code in buttons.txt
When you need to add, or change some buttons, just change code in
buttons.txt, and this change will appear on every page.

Of course, your server needs to support SSI, but I think most servers do.

Alfred Molon

In article <eq7fbo$ass$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr>, Shija says...
> Talal Itani wrote:
> > I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
> > buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
> > and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
> > always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
> > you very much.

> If I understood, you need same buttons on every page.
> That is easiest to do with SSI.
>
> On every page where buttons should appear put include file. For example:
>
> <!--#include file="buttons.txt" -->
>
> Then, make a ordinary text file named buttons.txt, save it in the same
> directory as web pages and in that text file write a peace of code you
> would like to be on the pages. For example:
>
> <ul>
> </ul>
>
> Every time page is loaded, server will change line:
> <!--#include file="buttons.txt" --> with code in buttons.txt
> When you need to add, or change some buttons, just change code in
> buttons.txt, and this change will appear on every page.
>
> Of course, your server needs to support SSI, but I think most servers do.

Don't you have to use the ending *.shtml for that?
--

Alfred Molon

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2007-02-05, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <eq7fbo$ass$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr>, Shija says...

>> Every time page is loaded, server will change line:
>> <!--#include file="buttons.txt" --> with code in buttons.txt
>> When you need to add, or change some buttons, just change code in
>> buttons.txt, and this change will appear on every page.
>>
>> Of course, your server needs to support SSI, but I think most servers do.

> Don't you have to use the ending *.shtml for that?

If the "x-bit hack" is set in the Apache config, an .html file with
the execute bit set will also be parsed for server-side includes.
See: <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_include.html#xbithack>.

Author:

Toby A Inkster

Alfred Molon wrote:

> Don't you have to use the ending *.shtml for that?

No -- you can configure your server to perform SSI on any files you like
-- you can differentiate by file name if you like, or by some other method
(XBitHack is popular).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/CSS/Javascript/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

dorayme

In article <5CGxh.2512$6P4.2044@trnddc06>,
"Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
> buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
> and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
> always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
> you very much.
>
> Regards,
> T.I.

I notice you have been given the best advice already. But I am
curious because I managed for literally years using Search and
Replace functions (over multiple pages), whole sites being decked
out with changes in a few secs. True, it was longer uploading the
changes to a web server - but not all that long for html files...
I mention this because it annoys me that you might actually take
the good advice and not go through the Luddite stage I went
through. It seems slightly unfair. Like an undeserved leg up.
What have you done to deserve it? I slaved away for years. Please
pause and consider the low tech solution I am alluding to.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> In article <5CGxh.2512$6P4.2044@trnddc06>,
> "Talal Itani" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my
>> navigation buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I
>> select the buttons and I paste them on every single page, but this is
>> getting annoying, since I always have do changes to the buttons. I
>> am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank you very much.
>>
>> Regards,
>> T.I.

> I notice you have been given the best advice already. It seems
> slightly unfair. Like an undeserved leg up.
> What have you done to deserve it? I slaved away for years. Please
> pause and consider the low tech solution I am alluding to.

Take heart! There's always the possibility that SSI is not available to
the OP. BTW, I did the same thing for a long, long time.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Gwin

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 19:58:44 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

> In article <eq7fbo$ass$(E-Mail Removed)-com.hr>, Shija says...
>> Talal Itani wrote:
>>> I am designing a web site and would like to know how to make my navigation
>>> buttons appear on every page of the site. Currently, I select the buttons
>>> and I paste them on every single page, but this is getting annoying, since I
>>> always have do changes to the buttons. I am using Web Page Maker V2. Thank
>>> you very much.

>> If I understood, you need same buttons on every page.
>> That is easiest to do with SSI.
>>
>> On every page where buttons should appear put include file. For example:
>>
>> <!--#include file="buttons.txt" -->
>>
>> Then, make a ordinary text file named buttons.txt, save it in the same
>> directory as web pages and in that text file write a peace of code you
>> would like to be on the pages. For example:
>>
>> <ul>
>> </ul>
>>
>> Every time page is loaded, server will change line:
>> <!--#include file="buttons.txt" --> with code in buttons.txt
>> When you need to add, or change some buttons, just change code in
>> buttons.txt, and this change will appear on every page.
>>
>> Of course, your server needs to support SSI, but I think most servers do.

> Don't you have to use the ending *.shtml for that?

add to your .htaccess and you can do what you want for includes.

AddType text/html .shtml .shtm .htm .html
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml .shtm .htm .html
AddType text/html .mobi

the last i add to fuk em up a little.
--
Secretary of Altered States
Governement of the Mens Room

Talal Itani

Thanks for the very many suggestions. I think I will stick with what I have
been doing. Which is, copy the buttons to the clipboard, then visit the 10
or so pages, one at a time, and past the buttons. That is the current limit
of my knowledge. Thanks to all the group members who participated.