Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Craigslist sucks

Craigslist sucks

Rarpy

Everybody knows and uses Craigslist, but I find their
tendency toward censorship in their discussion groups
and even in their classifieds to be just astonishing.
I have seen fruitful, intelligent discussions simply
disappear for no good reason whatsoever, not just
occassionally but on a daily basis. I wish they would take
a tip from Google and "don't be evil". Unfortunately
they are popular. Indeed everyone in the corporate
media seems to be rushing to praise them and gushing
with accolades. And yet, is the experience actually
so great? I find it sucks, quite frankly, which frustrates
because it is rapidly becoming the only game in town
for some things.

Main problems with Craigslist:

1. constant inappropriate censorship in the forums,
where any view that's different from moderators'
is labelled "spam", and reasonable posts are deleted.

2. try buying or selling something in the classifieds
and you discover your inbox filled with genuine spam
from Nigeria but very few actual interested parties.

3. essentially it seems that ever since CL was
bought out by corporations (including Ebay) they've
become just downright mean.

4. for some things, unfortunately, the critical mass of
people mainly go to Craigslist because it
has the most ads. They're like Ebay.

Steve

This is the first negative thing I've heard about CL.
Personally I think its great, and have bought and sold
lots of stuff there. The only problem is flakes that say
they will show up, but never do and don't bother
to call. Thats not the fault of CL though.

Since I started using CL, I have cut way back on fleabay.

Steve

Logan Shaw

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!!!! Cross-post alert!

Check out the list of newsgroups: rec.games.pinball, alt.html,
and misc.consumers.frugal-living.

Also, many of the points in the article are wrong. I won't
argue about them, because that would be just what they're
trying to accomplish with this obvious troll. I will suggest,
though, that anyone interested in the topic should check the
facts.

- Logan

Anthony Anthony is offline
Junior Member

Forget about craigs list with all the changes check out angelslistings.net the new and upcoming site for all your needs

castor611 castor611 is offline
Junior Member

Craiglist does suck. And you should visit and use globallistings.org instead.

Bad thing about craiglist is that ads expire and advertisers have to waste time to re-post them regularly. Unlike GLOBALLISTINGS, they don't impose artificial expiration dates, the ads may remain online as long as they are relevant.

Plus, I've read that until March 15 2010, you can get NINETY percent discount on all your GlobalListings.org posting by simply using promotional code 5a2c0ec3

Tensigh Tensigh is offline
Junior Member

Craigslist can really suck. I was trying to sell a table and chair set, only to get it flagged. Since I had other ads there that were almost identical for other items, there's no reason why this one should have been flagged.

Later, in the forums, Craigslist employees were smug, rude and condescending. They ended up getting in fights WITH EACH OTHER instead of addressing my issue. Some people gave some basic help, suggesting that maybe my pictures were too big (they weren't) or that the item was overpriced (it wasn't, at least, not by much).

And isn't it totally stupid to get an ad rejected without telling someone WHY it got rejected? Referring them to the forums is lazy at best, asinine at worst.

I guess it really is true; you get what you pay for.

Feyd Feyd is offline
Junior Member

3 years later and Craigslist still indeed sucks.

Anything posted which in any way shape or form does not agree with liberal bullshitism is flagged and removed.

In the Ithaca rants and raves there is a constant posting of garbage and **** towards: white people in general, men in general, and white men in particular.

Attempts to flag these posts are unsuccessful.

However any post that rails against, say, affirmative action, or all the money spent on welfare mommies, vanishes almost instantly.

Craigslist sucks.

Everything being sold is either overpriced and/or damaged. If it's on CL it's because it won't sell anywhere else. Buy beware: STAY AWAY FROM CRAIGSBITCH!

Wutrudu Wutrudu is offline
Junior Member

Agreed, Craigslist sucks! I spent a week(!!!) trying to find tickets to a show on there. I had to constantly re-post what I was looking for, and get into these annoying long email chains with mostly scammers and spammers who claimed they were selling the tickets I was looking for.

I found this other site, YouHaveIWant.com, where I just posted the tickets I was looking for, and it found a match for me. I didn't have to keep going back. I found my tickets within a few minutes, and was able to IM with the guy selling them. Had them in my hands in 90 minutes.

I am definitely switching to youhaveiwant for it's reliability and efficiency.

kpebeilr kpebeilr is offline
Junior Member

GIVE CRAIGSLIST THE BOOT!

for whatever stupid reason, too many people cannot post their ads because they are flagged, refused as spam, or "ghosted", or whatever, and craigslist is unresponsive. indeed it appears they don't give a damn. many say craigslist is a bad joke compared to what it used to be.

IT IS TIME to leave craigslist. everybody, all at once, should drop them and use something else: the next most popular, being BACKPAGE.COM

AND DON'T LOOK BACK. Do Not Go Back to craigslist even if you hear the problems are resolved. why? because

1. once the users come back, craigslist will go right back to doing the same thing! why wouldn't they!?

2. it will send a message to similar websites: when they irritate too many people, they lose them, and they don't come back

3. backpage.com can't be stupid, when it's switched around so backpage.com is #1 and barely anybody remembers what craigslist was anymore, backpage.com certainly won't try do pull what craigslist did! so we users end up happy ever after with a hassle-free website to post our ads on.

backpage.com looks better anyway

everybody that reads this needs to spread the word. starting now. today, December 2010, we are doing it now! WHENEVER somebody mentions "craigslist" say this: "everybody is going to backpage.com instead"

in fact, go out of your way to bring it up. make it a topic.

copy and paste this text, spread it around, email it, post it on blogs, forums, etc

and then go right on over to backpage.com and post an ad! something! anything! you didn't get to do that on craigslist, did you? it makes you happy posting an ad! so do it! at BACKPAGE.COM

rsbl4ever rsbl4ever is offline
Junior Member

I dont even remember HOW MANY times I posted on Craigslist, just to get flagged minutes later. That's why I only use sites like doogieads . com or backpage now.