Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > centering a word

centering a word

Thad

I've been out of the picture for a while but recently found out that
centering a word like hello as such...

<center>hello</center>

....has been depricated. Is there another simple way to do this. I've been
unable to find anything. Anybody have suggestions? Should I just keep
centering this way?

Jonathan N. Little

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-text-align

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Thad

So, it seems I have to write the code using css? I've avoided that
because I'm confused by css. Is plain html being phased out?

btw, thanks for the suggestion Jonathan.

>> I've been out of the picture for a while but recently found out that
>> centering a word like hello as such...
>>
>> <center>hello</center>
>>
>> ...has been depricated. Is there another simple way to do this. I've
>> been unable to find anything. Anybody have suggestions? Should I just
>> keep centering this way?

> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-text-align
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Thad" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing
in news:bcexh.24682$(E-Mail Removed):

> So, it seems I have to write the code using css? I've avoided that
> because I'm confused by css. Is plain html being phased out?

1. HTML is not code, it is HyperText Markup Language - tags are used to
markup text - plain and simple.
2. MTML is not being phased out
3. CSS is an enhancement - If you go to http://www.csszengarden.com you
can see the exact same markup changed completely with CSS.

Once you remove the presentational markup that has been deprecitated in
favor of CSS, you will see how much quicker and easier it is to get
things done. Imagine this scenario: 100 pages with <body
bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000">, and you want to swap it - before CSS
that meant changing all those body elements. Now, a change to one
stylesheet changes ALL the pages at the same time;
body {background-color:#fff; color:#000}

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

David Dorward

Adrienne Boswell wrote:

> 1. HTML is not code, it is HyperText Markup Language - tags are used to
> markup text - plain and simple.

Plain, simple, but still code (not program code, but still code).

> 2. MTML is not being phased out

"HTML"

Well, there are efforts to phase it out in favour of XHTML, but they aren't
working too well, and the W3C seems to have realised that now.

> 3. CSS is an enhancement - If you go to http://www.csszengarden.com you
> can see the exact same markup changed completely with CSS.

I just wish that so many of the designs there didn't change the markup by
hiding the text and replacing it with images.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

dorayme

In article <eq4fpm$l91$1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Dorward <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > 3. CSS is an enhancement - If you go to http://www.csszengarden.com you
> > can see the exact same markup changed completely with CSS.

> I just wish that so many of the designs there didn't change the markup by
> hiding the text and replacing it with images.

Certainly looks like cheating in a demo of the power of css...

--
dorayme

Thad

Thanks so much for all the info....I will take that all into consderation
and look into css.

news:Xns98CCEF40C4BB5arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..