Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS validator

CSS validator

fuli open

I started to run the CSS validator on my files, and correct mistakes
until getting the message of 'Congratulations'. But for one file I
got the following message:

quote
W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/
fortune.html

No error or warning found

No style sheet found
unquote

the URL is: http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/fortune.html

It is possible that there is not error or warning. But there is a
very long style sheet. I wonder whether the validator itself made a
mistake. It found my file, but didn't do anything.

Help is appreciated.
fuli open

J.O. Aho

fuli open wrote:
> I started to run the CSS validator on my files, and correct mistakes
> until getting the message of 'Congratulations'. But for one file I
> got the following message:
>
> quote
> W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/
> fortune.html
>
> No error or warning found
>
> No style sheet found
> unquote
>
> the URL is: http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/fortune.html
>
> It is possible that there is not error or warning. But there is a
> very long style sheet. I wonder whether the validator itself made a
> mistake. It found my file, but didn't do anything.

Could be so that the validator assumes your page is HTML4.01 and the xhtml you
are using makes it to miss the style definitions.

Either use:

or

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

or

//Aho

Jonathan N. Little

fuli open wrote:
> I started to run the CSS validator on my files, and correct mistakes
> until getting the message of 'Congratulations'. But for one file I
> got the following message:
>
> quote
> W3C CSS Validator Results for http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/
> fortune.html
>
> No error or warning found
>
> No style sheet found
> unquote
>
> the URL is: http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/fortune.html
>
> It is possible that there is not error or warning. But there is a
> very long style sheet. I wonder whether the validator itself made a
> mistake. It found my file, but didn't do anything.

Your style definitions are within STYLE element, typically it is in a
separate sheet

<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="yourStyleSheet.css" type="text/css">

I believe the warning means that the validator can find no external sheet.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

fuli open

On Feb 1, 7:56 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> fuli open wrote:

> Could be so that the validator assumes your page is HTML4.01 and the xhtml you
> are using makes it to miss the style definitions.
>
> Either use:

I have been doing in my way for years without realizing the difference
between xhtml and html4. It's rather hard for me do otherwise. Is it
possible to change the word 'Strict' to 'Transtional' in above doctype
and add a line in the <html> tag, so the above would become:

> or

> or

If xhml things are already included in the code, I wonder whether the
above two doctypes are adequate for my page.

Thanks a lot again for enlightenment.

> --
>
> //Aho

cwdjrxyz

On Feb 1, 6:40 am, "fuli open" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I started to run the CSS validator on my files, and correct mistakes
> until getting the message of 'Congratulations'. But for one file I
> got the following message:
>
> quote
> W3C CSS Validator Results forhttp://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/
> fortune.html
>
> No error or warning found
>
> No style sheet found
> unquote
>
> the URL is:http://www.pinyinology.com/wheel/fortune.html
>
> It is possible that there is not error or warning. But there is a
> very long style sheet. I wonder whether the validator itself made a
> mistake. It found my file, but didn't do anything.
>
> Help is appreciated.
> fuli open

Your page has 49 validation errors as written in XHTML. However, when
you go to the CSS validator, a line just under the URL form states:
"Note: If you want to validate your CSS style sheet embedded in an
(X)HTML document, you should first check that the (X)HTML you use is
valid." Thus you have two choices. Either you correct all of the
errors in the xhtml page or change the page to another format, such as
html 4.01 strict, and get it to validate fully. Then the CSS validator
should work. If the CSS validator still will not work, you should then
check your CSS for typos, etc. If the CSS validator still will not
work, then the W3C has a feedback link for reporting bugs.

J.O. Aho

fuli open wrote:
> On Feb 1, 7:56 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been doing in my way for years without realizing the difference
> between xhtml and html4. It's rather hard for me do otherwise. Is it
> possible to change the word 'Strict' to 'Transtional' in above doctype
> and add a line in the <html> tag, so the above would become:

You get a bit of randomness when you don't use a doctype, and if you use a
html-doctype and xhtml-tags, you get randomness too.

Sure, that works.

>> or
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>>
>> or
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

> If xhml things are already included in the code, I wonder whether the
> above two doctypes are adequate for my page.

You can always remove xhtml and use pure html, if you want to use a html-doctype.

--

//Aho

Roy A.

On 1 Feb, 15:22, "fuli open" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 7:56 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

> > or

> > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

> If xhml things are already included in the code, I wonder whether the
> above two doctypes are adequate for my page.

I think an HTML 4.01 doctype is more adequate for your page than
xhtml.

Your pages is rendering in backwards compatibility mode. If you don't
want to change that (in your existing pages) you could use:

But try to see if you can use standards mode.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> fuli open wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 7:56 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I have been doing in my way for years without realizing the difference
> > between xhtml and html4. It's rather hard for me do otherwise. Is it
> > possible to change the word 'Strict' to 'Trans ...

> You can always remove xhtml and use pure html, if you want to use a
> html-doctype.

Before doing anything, note the wise words of my partner, old K:

"The expert advice is to use HTML 4.01, but you can of course use
technobabble-XHTML _if_ you are careful enough to follow
guidelines that effectively make it HTML 4.01 with pointless
kludges."

Not bad really!

--
dorayme

Roy A.

On 1 Feb, 22:04, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > fuli open wrote:
> > > On Feb 1, 7:56 am, "J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I have been doing in my way for years without realizing the difference
> > > between xhtml and html4. It's rather hard for me do otherwise. Is it
> > > possible to change the word 'Strict' to 'Trans ...

> > You can always remove xhtml and use pure html, if you want to use a
> > html-doctype.

> Before doing anything, note the wise words of my partner, old K:
>
> "The expert advice is to use HTML 4.01, but you can of course use
> technobabble-XHTML _if_ you are careful enough to follow
> guidelines that effectively make it HTML 4.01 with pointless
> kludges."
>
> Not bad really!

Not bad, but she/he is merely annotating her/his own imagination.

dorayme

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Roy A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 1 Feb, 22:04, dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > You can always remove xhtml and use pure html, if you want to use a
> > > html-doctype.

> > Before doing anything, note the wise words of my partner, old K:
> >
> > "The expert advice is to use HTML 4.01, but you can of course use
> > technobabble-XHTML _if_ you are careful enough to follow
> > guidelines that effectively make it HTML 4.01 with pointless
> > kludges."
> >
> > Not bad really!

> Not bad, but she/he is merely annotating her/his own imagination.

No, your "merely" makes it false.

--
dorayme